I accidentally used 1 drop of PH test solution in my 55 gallon Fish tank? HELP!!!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dulcisveteranus

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just accidentally used drop of pH test solution in my tank thinking it was pH down. Will it hurt my fish? What about my plants? Should I do a water change? HELP!!!

Uh oh, that doesn't sound good!
The test solutions from the API kit are chemicals; and they're definitely not good for your fish tank. There's a reason why people say not to dip test tubes themselves into the tank because of there may be some chemical residue left on them.

For a temporary tank while cleaning, I suggest finding a big plastic tub and fill it with clean water, add a filter/heater, then all your fish. You don't need to remove the fish, but if you're scared about it go ahead. Do a 80-100% water change on your tank. I know it was only one drop in a huge tank, but it's better safe than sorry.

If you clean the whole tank, make sure you rinse the plants good as well.
If you're very paranoid about it, you can empty the whole tank then scrub/rinse it out. But I think a big water change should help just fine.

Good luck! I hope your fish will be okay :( Accidents happen. It shouldn't be anything too bad, though.

I would not be concerned about 1 drop in 55g personally.
If you are running carbon I would be even less(maybe none at all).
Hope this works out for you and let your fish behavior be your guide now.'If they sem in distress then a waterchange(never less then 50%) would be in order .

I accidentally used 1 drop of PH test solution in my 55 gallon Fish tank? HEL...

+1, but it mostly depends on what brand you use. Some can be lethal but its 1 drop in 55 gallons.

The brand I used was API. I added Carbon right away. Is there anything I can do to help my plants?

IMO you should be good with the carbon.
If you are still nervous and have more carbon change it 100% tomorrow,and then relax!

Look up the MSDS / SDS sheet online. It describes toxic quantities.

It is extremely unlikely to be a problem especially for plants.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

The ph down is more likely to cause harm to your tank than the ph solution. What are you using it for?

I agree with the peeps saying to chill out. A lot of people(including myself) has made many mistakes in the past by worrying too much and throwing major changes at your fish to stress them out even more than whatever you're worried about. You should be fine, if it was me I'd just do a 20% water change for the day of and 2-3 days after. Good luck.

You should be fine. One time my cousin dumped in a vial of nitrate solution in my 55. It was sitting on a table waiting for the colors to develop, and it got dumped in. No deaths, sicknesses, etc.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

I accidentally used 1 drop of PH test solution in my 55 gallon Fish tank? HEL...

You should be fine. One time my cousin dumped in a vial of nitrate solution in my 55. It was sitting on a table waiting for the colors to develop, and it got dumped in. No deaths, sicknesses, etc.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

How old is your cousin? My 4-yr old cousin drives me crazy by tapping on the glass, trying to catch fish with his hands, etc., but he crossed the line when he thought my test strips (dip in, not liquid kind) were those candies with drops of solid colored sugar on thin strips of paper and tried to eat it, but I stopped him from opening the container. Kids are funny sometimes.

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

He was three, but he's four now.

Fishobsessed7

The ph down is more likely to cause harm to your tank than the ph solution. What are you using it for?

This was my main concern more than the pH solution.

Changing pH with chemicals will stress your fish far more.

Caleb

This was my main concern more than the pH solution.

Changing pH with chemicals will stress your fish far more.

Caleb

+1 with both of them!
Why are you using any buffer?
What are your water parameters and what do you think you need or are trying to achieve?
:confused:

Back
Top Bottom