I am being over run!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnyb1425

Aquarium Advice Regular
The algae growth in my 15 gal. is out of control. I am pretty certain that I have the blue-green everyone describes on the gravel, while there is red and green hair growing off the filter. Additionally, everything else in the aquarium is covered in some sort of darker bluish green blanket that comes off in sheets when I pull it off. Am I doing something wrong (I know, dumb question)? What can I do so that I don't have to spend an hour every week cleaning off all the parts of what is actually a rather small aquarium?

Have you tested your water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.. nitrate being most important for plant growth.. how much light do you have and how many hours a day do you have it on? is the tank setting somewere it gets direct sunlight... In NY that would be a southern exposure window or windows.. if you have the lights on more than 8 hours a day then I would suggest you get it down.. if you have the tank sitting were it can get direct sunlight I would recommend moving it.. :D

If this is blue-green algae, cyanobacteria, you'll not find a fish that will eat it - sortof toxic. The only way I have ever gotten rid of it was from the use of erythromycin (Maracyn) in a half-dose over the course of 5 days. Some have had luck with the blackout method but that did not work for me at all. Sometimes excess nitrate can contribute to it.

Maracyn works great. I added one half dose once and haven't seen it since. manually remove as much as practical before adding the Maracyn. The more info you provide about your tank (fish, light, pH, ammonia, etc.) the more preventitive care we can suggest.

Keep in mind that algae growth is caused by some imbalance. How often do you feed your fish? What fish do you have in the tank? How often do you do a PWC?

Right now, readings are:

Ph = 6.8
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 20

In it I have 2 Rosy Barbs I am trying to get to eat the hair algae, 4 ottos (for cleanup which aren't really helping), and 4 red eye tetra. I am doing PWC (20%)about once a week whenever I do my algae scraping. Additionally, I have been dosing with an algae destroyer and added phos x to my canister filter. I am also rather careful about not overfeeding. I have a retrofit compact flourescent with 26 total watts that I have on a timer for 12 hours. Any changes I have made have been done rather recently to combat the algae. Hopes this helps :? I do truly appreciate all the help you guys can give and have given me in the past :D

Back
Top Bottom