I am bummed and scared for my fancies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurencallen74

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,
Being a novice fishkeeper, I feel I may have done my beloved fancies a great disservice.

Short story:
I had two fancies gifted to my 5 year old over a year ago. I had no idea what I was doing with these fish in a 10 gallon tank. As I read up, I realized these two were probably grossly over crammed. At first I'm sure we over fed. Then, Bob got a cloudy eye and unfortunately passed. (after 3 months)

Enter more studying on fish.

We got a 25 gallon and didn't probably cycle properly. I made the unfortunate decision to listen to a friend who has remarkably sturdy goldies that defy every odd when it comes to surviving a transfer.

Stripe (my son named him and funny enough, we have no idea if it's a male and he has no stripes!)

We set up the tank, used prime in the water, and did NOT cycle. I didn't listen to the nitrogen cycle info because I was sold products that I was told would work instead and I wanted Stripe to have more room.

He is an oranda. He and our new addition Bella adore each other, and did well despite having me as their keeper.

Only now that I got a 46 gallon for them have I realized what a bad study I have been.

I read everything late.

I used the old gravel, one small filter with the old media, (transferred directly from old tank) a new emperor 280 (with more old media in it) and live plants from old tank along with some new ones and 2 moss balls.

24 hours running, used prime and Seachem's Head Start kit with stability. I bubble wand and a bubble stone. added tiny bits of fish food.

I really thought I was doing right by them and felt proud. So after 24 hours I added them after temp acclimation.

I have the API master test kit. My ammonia (it's day 3) is at 0-0.25 Nitrite at 0.25. My water is hard so the PH is at about 7.5. (don't worry, I used prime to dechlor)

Today I did a 25% water change.

My oranda swims around, but tends to favor the bottom corner. The other fantail is very active, but loves her buddy so she is always checking on him.

He also has vague veins that are red in his tail.

:(

I'm so sad. Has anyone has fancies survive the nitrogen cycle? I'll be so sad if they pass because all this expensive upgrading is just for the happiness of two fancy goldfish.

So much conflicting advice out there.

Any thoughts on what I can do to try to help them survive this cycle, or are they doomed because of me?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated, and please be gentle, I feel crappy enough as it is. :)

Thanks a million,
Lauren, Stripe, and Bella.

Congrats on first off giving your goldfish the size home they deserve and being a caring fish keeper.
Right off the bat, if you don't already have one, get a test kit for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Most here recommend the API freshwater test kit.
And then look at the sticky for cycling with fish, titled "I just learned about cycling, but I already have fish, what now?"
That will help you get things cycled, while keeping your fish healthy.
Welcome to the forum!

PS- I feed them soaked pellets and peas that are shelled once a day in TINY amounts. Probably 10 pellets soaked and 3 peas cut up. They are GONE in an instant. They are hungry! I am scared to feed any more than that at this stage. ;)

One thing about goldfish is that they do not have stomachs. They have no way to store food. Several small meals throughout the day is fine for them ;)

I do not have goldfish, but I wanted to say that you are doing great by coming here and getting advice. This place rocks! And good job getting them a bigger home :D

Daily 25% water changes would be the best way to keep the water quality up until the tank stabilizes. Aquarium salt is invaluable when it comes to goldfish, they respond very well to salt treatments. I would add 1/2-1 tablespoon per five gallons (start on the lower end).

Soaking food is a bad idea. It will remove all the water-soluble vitamins in the food, leaving it less nutritious. The best thing to do is start with a high quality sinking pellet. I only feed and recommend New Life Spectrum pellets.

What test kit are you using?
What are you feeding now?

I wrote a couple articles on goldfish, PM me if you would like a link to them.

Back
Top Bottom