I am in Need of Tank Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I mean I don't the science behind it but when ever my ph is high I either turn on my air pump or I run co2 and it goes down in usually 2 days and stays around 7 to 7.2 then it will start going down again so I turn it off and it will stay at 7.2 for about a month

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

While we're talking about a high ph, is there anything I can do to get rid of the nitrites and ammonia in my tap water?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The water conditioner should take care of that try stirring the conditioner in a bucket with the water and let it sit for 30 minutes

Going back to the cory, does anyone think it could have been ammonia poisoning?

PRIME will detoxify the ammonia and nitrites but not remove them from the water. Some of your choices are to either filter your water to remove them through a catrbon or resin or you can set up a container or trash can with a filter that uses products like Ammosorb or a Polyfilter that will also remove them from the water. Since you really should age the water a bit before using it anyway, having that spare tank of good water would not be such a bad idea. ;)

As for your PH situation, if you have rock in the tank that is helping keep your PH high, you will need to remove it or any adjusting you do will not last very long.

Hope this helps

Cories are pretty hardy fish. I have them in my 36 gallon. Just make sure you over filter. Additionally, you can use Purigen instead of carbon. It's an awesome media. You can even bleach the stuff. What filter are you using in your 30?

Cories are pretty hardy fish. I have them in my 36 gallon. Just make sure you over filter. Additionally, you can use Purigen instead of carbon. It's an awesome media. You can even bleach the stuff. What filter are you using in your 30?

In my 30 gallon I have an aquaclear 70 gallon filter set up

In my 30 gallon I have an aquaclear 70 gallon filter set up

Awesome filter. I use the C series, but aquaclears are just as good.

After a few weeks, carbon is pretty much useless. Purigen is the best media to use in my opinion to make your tank crystal clear! Good luck!

As an update, all the remaining fish are doing great. I actually think my other panda cory is more active than before. He has been swimming laps around the tank all night! I can't wait to move them to the bigger one so that I can get them some buddies! Out of curiosity, which of my fish would you suggest moving first? My pleco is obviously putting a strain on the 10 due to his bio load, but is he a good idea to put into the 30 first, or would he not be hardy enough for that?

As a side note, is there anything I can do to the new tank to make the pleco more comfortable? He is always hidden, all my plecos in the past where always out and about. I have a ton of driftwood and hiding places in the new tank but is there anything else he could use?

Do you feed the Pleco algae tablets. And I would probably add the Pleco last

You know wait till there's a little algae on the glass. I would add any fish but the Pleco

Do you feed the Pleco algae tablets. And I would probably add the Pleco last

I feed some sinking shrimp pellets for the cories but no algae pellets. I was feeding some but none of the bottom feeders would touch them, maybe I'll try another brand. And I'll take your advice and add him last. Should I add a few of the tetras first or the 2 cories?

If he ignores algae pellets you can try a variety of green veggies and see if he likes any of them.

I'd add the tetras first. They're usually fairly hardy and don't have too bad of bioloads, so they shouldn't stress the tank in the initial adjustment period.

Try cucumber that's what I feed my Pleco every now and then and he's loves it

Defo cucumber my pleco loves the stuff he darts for it as before it hits the bottom, when I next look at it he's stripped it literally just the green skin nothin else

also maybe the cory did die due to ammonia, the others could be used to it as they have been there a while, and as this was a new fish maybe it isn't used to it(I don't no I'm just thinking)

Sent from my fish phone

Okay I'll try cucumber, I've tried zucchini before but he still wasn't interested in it. As far as the cories go I'm thinking it might have been the ammonia. I added another panda the same day, but maybe he just figured out how to adapt and the other didn't, I need to get my water situation figured out.

Okay I'll try cucumber, I've tried zucchini before but he still wasn't interested in it. As far as the cories go I'm thinking it might have been the ammonia. I added another panda the same day, but maybe he just figured out how to adapt and the other didn't, I need to get my water situation figured out.

If your water is sitting at 1ppm Ammonia a lot, I would definitely think that's the culprit of the death. It looked like he had a spinal deformity already (not uncommon in cories), so he may have been genetically weaker to begin with and couldn't adapt, while the other could.

Back
Top Bottom