I am in Need of Tank Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Try cutting cucumber ring into quarters and push onto a stainless steel spoon so it's not floating, I've tried clips and all that, and I found this to be the best way,

It's horrible having a problem like this and not knowing how to solve it,

Sent from my fish phone

If your water is sitting at 1ppm Ammonia a lot, I would definitely think that's the culprit of the death. It looked like he had a spinal deformity already (not uncommon in cories), so he may have been genetically weaker to begin with and couldn't adapt, while the other could.

Okay, thanks. What can I do to lower that ammonia level? I want to do water changes but I'm just adding more ammonia and I haven't been able to find any prime just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Prime or any other water conditioner that detoxifies ammonia and nitrites is the best way to manage it.

If you can't do that, set up a bucket (or food-grade plastic bin, depending on the size you need for your changes) with a filter running on it constantly. Fill your tank from that either by dumping it in manually or using a submersible pump, then refill afterwards. Since you have naturally occuring ammonia it should be pretty easy for the filter to populate itself and clean up the ammonia/nitrites between water changes. The water will end up having nitrates, but if you have plants in the display tank they will help eat that up, and it's still way less toxic than it would be straight from the tap.

Prime or any other water conditioner that detoxifies ammonia and nitrites is the best way to manage it.

If you can't do that, set up a bucket (or food-grade plastic bin, depending on the size you need for your changes) with a filter running on it constantly. Fill your tank from that either by dumping it in manually or using a submersible pump, then refill afterwards. Since you have naturally occuring ammonia it should be pretty easy for the filter to populate itself and clean up the ammonia/nitrites between water changes. The water will end up having nitrates, but if you have plants in the display tank they will help eat that up, and it's still way less toxic than it would be straight from the tap.

Alright, I may have to invest in some prime. I don't have room for another tank (or bucket) of water without really making my parents frustrated. Plus i go to college next year so I need to keep cleaning easy for them until I can get the tank moved. I'll move the tetras first. I also need to increase there numbers to 8 or do. My panda Cory's top fin is a tad damaged so in thinking their picking on him and a larger school should keep it in the group.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom