I am terrible with deciding the result on color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anna11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone chime in on the result? Thank1480706826297.jpg you.

I usually call that shade 520 orange, it's definitely not yellow, and it's certainly not red, so somewhere between 5 and 20!

I'd lean towards 20 but it's hard to tell against a surface almost the same color place it on a white sheet of paper for a more accurate read on our end

I think 10 and 20 on the card are the same and someone at API is messing with us.

I think 10 and 20 on the card are the same and someone at API is messing with us.
I think so too, like the reds they are all the same except 100, lol it goes orange red red red red burgundy I'm Like uhhh I'm calling it 30-35 lol

Just like everything else having to do with aquariums, as clear as mud...[emoji848]

I have that in my AC 70 lol, doesn't make sense, nitrates can lower ph my ph is always 7.6, nitrates cause Algae and I don't see any except a bit of green color on my white Texas Holey rock

I have that in my AC 70 lol, doesn't make sense, nitrates can lower ph my ph is always 7.6, nitrates cause Algae and I don't see any except a bit of green color on my white Texas Holey rock

Yeah. I wouldn't say nitrates cause algae exclusively. Most EI users will tell you that. I think unhealthy plants and too much light cause algae.

Will then I guess my light isn't low spectrum after all, plants are healthy

Edit. Nm i just read that if plants don't get the stuff they need then it will cause Algae, so even though my plants aren't dying or anything they might not be getting enough essentials they need??

Will then I guess my light isn't low spectrum after all, plants are healthy

Edit. Nm i just read that if plants don't get the stuff they need then it will cause Algae, so even though my plants aren't dying or anything they might not be getting enough essentials they need??

I think you might be reading in to things a bit too much. If your plants look healthy and you only have a bit of algae on the rock I'd call it good and just enjoy the tank. [emoji106]

I think you might be reading in to things a bit too much. If your plants look healthy and you only have a bit of algae on the rock I'd call it good and just enjoy the tank. [emoji106]
Is algae dangerous to the tank? say if it gets to outta control and what do I do if it does? just clean and spot treat with peroxide?

Is algae dangerous to the tank? say if it gets to outta control and what do I do if it does? just clean and spot treat with peroxide?

From what I understand, algae are opportunistic. If they can find a way to get a foothold they will. But as far as the ecosystem is concerned I wouldn't think they were dangerous and we are really only limited so half a dozen identifiable types in the freshwater aquarium setting.

Algae are much simpler organisms than plants and they require less of everything to grow. The way I see it (and this is purely a hypothesis based on no scientific evidence whatsoever) algae still produce oxygen, they still take in elevated levels of toxic nitrogen and heavy metals. They are a nutritious substrate for other micro organisms and critters. I believe that algae are a backup to failing higher plants. They have the ability to keep the system going and will continue to do so until the conditions are right for higher plants to take over again. This is why I believe (not proven) they recede when plants are healthy because healthy plants can do these things on a much larger scale.

It's finding the cause of what makes plants unhealthy. This is the hard part. This is why you should not focus on algae in my opinion, only plants.

Keep the water clean. Change it frequently to dilute the conditions that could be contributing towards algae, remove spores etc. Reduce light. Keep flow high.

Give the plants what they need to grow without limitation but without over indulging. Getting the balance right and maintaining that balance is the most difficult aspect of keeping a healthy planted ecosystem. If it were that simple we would all have trouble free beautiful tanks 12 months of each year.

Lol true enough, it's not bad, not on the glass, just can see it on the white rock

I feel your pain on reading the nitrates lol 40/80 are the same darn color lol
20161202_095920_001.jpg20161202_100251.jpg

Back
Top Bottom