i can't believe this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ringfinger

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my community tank has been running perfectly with everyone getting along...until today. My girlfriend didn't want her goldfish anymore, so I just put it in my tank until I could get to the LFS the next day to give it away. Not the best idea...but it was only gonna be overnight. I put the goldfish in a bag and let the temperature adjust, etc. But it wouldn't have mattered much because my young Blue Gourami killed the goldfish in less than a minute, and before I could even grab a net to save it. Now, this once peaceful Gourami, has turned mean and chases everyone around. Even the little Danios. Total personality change! Is he gonna get over it and turn back to normal? Anyone else have a good fish turn bad?

I've never seen anything that violent. I have a dwarf gourami and an oranda in the same tank, and they're getting along swimmingly.

:eek2:
Try a time out and while the little meanie is out of the tank, rearrange the decor. I hope he calms down.

I have had some meaner-than-a-snake DG's before and I agree a change of scenery is in order.

Does he have plants (real or fake) that go all the way to the surface? I have found this goes a long way towards keeping them calm(er) and happy.

Thanks...he is in the 5 gallon QT. I have plenty of plants going all the way to the surface, but I will change it around a bit. Hopefully he can behave and come back home.

Dwarf gouramis are the most peaceful gourami so i guess that blue gourami would be more agressive

thats insane why would a fish become a rotwieler all of a sudden?!?!?!

A similar situation has happened with my larger blue gourami. When I added my first opaline to the tank it went nuts, it started attacking everyone including my snakeskin gourami which is about double its size. I decided to move my gold into there (it was in the 20 gal at the time) to see what would happen then. So the gold goes in and the blue is now completely peaceful and actually gets chased once in awhile by my male opaline even though the blue is the second largest fish in there.
My banded gourami used to chase everyone all the time so I gave him a time out in my 10 gal for about a week and a few days. He's now calmer.

Back
Top Bottom