I Can't Believe This! Goldfish as Prizes. . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twoapennything

Aquarium Advice Freak
My daughter just came home with FOUR goldfish that she won at some kind of thing at school today. First of all, I think it's bad form to use goldfish as prizes because of the high probability of ignorance on the winner's part. Second, I was determined to keep my tropicals separate from cool water fish, which goldies are. I made the mistake of getting a fancy ryukin goldfish when I first got my aquarium and mixed him up with a bunch of tropicals. Now, Lady is used to it, I think, but I really didn't want to continue the practice. But what am I going to do? Let them die in a baggie? *SIGH* Who knows, they may not last in the tank anyway if they are super sensitive to temperature. They're pretty little goldies, but I just wish the school hadn't been so thoughtless.

That's a good idea - I think I will write a letter. I remember back in the day, at the state fair, you could win a goldfish by throwing a ping pong ball into its tiny little bowl (betta sized bowls). I think that practice was outlawed or something. The four little goldies seem to be enjoying the big tank - I think they're comet goldfish. They are a very pretty shade of orange.

Don't most local LFS' take fish? You could see if they would take them, or if Petsmart or something would. Good luck! Poor little guys...

That's a good idea - I think I will write a letter. I remember back in the day, at the state fair, you could win a goldfish by throwing a ping pong ball into its tiny little bowl (betta sized bowls). I think that practice was outlawed or something. The four little goldies seem to be enjoying the big tank - I think they're comet goldfish. They are a very pretty shade of orange.

I remember that too!! I never did win one though... *grumble grumble rigged carnival games grumble grumble*

I always did feel bad for the fishies though.

outlawing isnt the answer its education. most people dont know and the lfs tell them its ok. i agree with writing a letter give them some basic facts.
Don't most local LFS' take fish? You could see if they would take them, or if Petsmart or something would. Good luck! Poor little guys...
some do some dont.

I would write a letter to the school and hope they do something but for the fish just do the thing you think is right
God i just realise i sound really corny lol

I had a feeder goldfish live for years just in a bowl, maybe a couple of water changes every now and then.

I've actually seen an LFS use the betta bowl-ping pong ball at a grand opening. They just see the fish as feeders and an opportunity to sell you a tank.

The problem is that those are feeders, cheap & considered disposable. Most lfs that will take them back will just throw them in the feeder tank & much worse condition than even a bowl.

The lfs won't care ... those are 10cent disposable fish, they are happy to give those away on the off chance that there will someone that will really want to look after those fish & end up buying a tank. <First a small tank, then upgrades, and eventually a pond ..... there's lots of money in that 10 cent investment! ....>

I agree that educating the school is the best way to go. And Julie, kudos for caring about those fish.

Well thats deppressing. I would shoot for education. Right the school a letter and get the word out a little.

They will do FINE in a tropical tank, they might not live as long like 7 years instead of 10-15 years but they will adapt just fine. I have some 8-12inch comet goldfish in a pond and here in Texas, my water temps range from 40F-85F They will do just fine. The thing is they produce a LOT of waste so your stocking levels will be more restricted.

yay english law actually has some goodpoints:
1) no sale to or prize winning of livestock by unaccompanied minors
2) feeder fish are illegal. so no horrid tanks of cramped, battered, scrubby fish at the petshop. you wanna feed your fish a goldfish? your gonna have to pay for a nice healthy pet one and better not tell the assistants what you plan to do with it!

personally i dont see that as good points.... there more adults putting fish into too small of tanks then kids.

the feeder fish is just as stupid...... fish eat other fish in the wild its just nature. now i dont think feeder fish should only be used but here and there as part of a diet for the fish i dont see why not. there many fish out there that wont take prepared food.

well it means the parents are prepared for a fish coming home with them....of course you still get people who think a vase or a jam jar would be prepared enough...
and as for the second, its good in that the conditions at the petshops are better because theyre kept with an eye to be being bought as a pet not food. people still use them as food the same way people still buy mice to feed to their snakes.

Back
Top Bottom