i cant help but cry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blue_neon

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok so yesterday i was at walmart looking at the fish stuff and if i had the money for a 55gal on me i would have i got one(even though my mom would have killed me) but then i got to looking at the poor fish crammed in the tanks*cries* and i wanted to save them all but knew that if i bought them only more poor fish would suffer... and not to mention the diseases that i would get.. i wish the ppl that they had back there knew what they were doing.....grrrrr

I know how you feel neon. Everytime I go to the fish department at Wal-Mart I want to buy their entire stock and take them home and give them a nice home. On the few occassions that I have bought from there, they always die. I have yet to have one fish last longer than 3 weeks. It boggles my mind because all of the other fish survive, except for the Wal-Mart stock.

walmart seems to offer the bottom of the barrel when it comes to fish. On occasion ive had a fish from there survive, but its a game of luck...stick to the lfs

My local Walmart is kind of new so the fish do ok, for now at least. They do seem to be pretty good with keeping the tanks clean though and the fish at least looking healthy. Except for the bettas. :cry:
I got my blue gourami and both of my mollies from there and they are doing great. I went to a different Walmart that's furthur away and the tanks aren't as good but not that bad. Maybe the ones around here have better informed employees? I don't know, but just thought I would share. :)

The thing I love about our wal mart is that they have dead fish floating in their tanks for days, no one attending to the fish, and all of the bettas in a cup look miserable/tattered fins and all have blue tinted water... that's a red alert for me. If they're treating their fish, something must be wrong.

*waits for Devlish to comment*

I went to the Midway Walmart recently, and was expecting to be shocked. What I found were clean tanks, very few dead fish, and healthy looking bettas. It definitely depends on the Walmart.

There are indeed some good Wal-marts, PetCo's, and PetsMart's out there who have knowledgable managers and employees in the fish dept. However it's not a requirement to get the job, so unfortunately poor quality is 'the norm' for most any chain store livestock.
And yes, its sad :cry:

Well, I need a job and I'm considering working at one of those types of stores to help people out and hopefully save some fishies.

my mom just got a digi cam so im gonna take some pics of it ... i dont even know if there are fish in there i cant see to well(and my mom yells at me when my tanks got a little alage).. its just sad

Back
Top Bottom