I can't keep my tank clean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robotwizard

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I have a 30 gal. with a koi and a pl*co (both about 7-8 inches). The problem I'm having is that I can never seem to get the tank cleaned out at all, theres always a good deal of waste/algae/whatever floating around. I have taken to cleaning the tank once a week and exchange about 1/3 of the water. I use a cheap plastic vacuum tube thing, which just seems to stir everything up.

A lot of this accumulation probably has to do with the fact that my filter cartridge clogs up pretty quick, but it's rated for tanks up to 50 gallons.

Also, I'm really careful to not overfeed, and don't have any ammonia problems.

I'm just wondering if I could get some suggestions on maybe better cleaning tools or other options. (Maybe I should just get a bigger filter?)

I would say that you have to keep up on the water changes. Both the koi and the pleco make a lot of waste. If your gravel vac doesn't work to your satisfaction, get a python no spill water change system. I recently bought one and I love it, it makes water changes a breeze and does a really good job of vacuuming the gravel because you can turn of the suction to move to a different part of the tank and restart it again, reducing the amount of water removed while effectively cleaning the gravel.

Your 30 gallon is stocked with fish that are too big and they will only get bigger. To make matters worse they are notorious poopers! To keep up with the crap in this tank you would need to do daily gravel vacs and water changes IMO. Your best bet would be to upgrade to a much larger tank or trade the fish for ones better suited to a 30 gallon.

are you housing the koi temporarily until you can get it into your pond? If not you should probably return it.. it really is a pond fish. you could always give it to someone that has room for it in there outdoor pond (not a fishing pond mind you)

The problem is you have grossly overloaded the bioload on that tank by having two 7"+ fish in there. That tank isn't suitable for one 7" fish, let alone two.
Put the koi in a pond, and put the pleco in 100gallon tank, or return it to the LFS.

I'd also be doing daily 50% water changes for a while to clean up the water, though the only real solution is a pond/huge tank, or getting someone to take the fish who can house them properly.

I honestly do not see why people post here when they are not willing to accept the good advice given, in this case,several months ago.

If you were not going to accept the advice then, what makes you ask now?
Frankly, I am for spending my time with people that accept the help offered.

I read the old post and while he was given information on the nitrogen cycle he wasn't exactly told that his fish choices were inappropriate for his tank.

Anyway Robotwizard try trading those fish for fish better suited to a 30 gallon and you will find keeping the tank clean a much easier job. I doubt your fish will be able to live very much longer in such a small unsuited dirty space.

you are correct, I stand chastised, my mistake is assuming people read posts other than the ones that they make.

I think people have different levels of addiction. Some pop on once and awhile with a question, some search the boards to gather as much information as they possible can, and others live here :mrgreen:

And I never meant to chastise!

The purpose of linking the previous post was too show that the same condition regarding the detrius in the tank still exists to this day. The advice given then is being repeated and in this case, the issue of the fishes size has been discussed.

What I want to know is, how the heck did JChillin realize there was a similar post a year ago? I think we may have redefined "addiction". 8O :lol: :lol:

Andos99 said:
What I want to know is, how the heck did JChillin realize there was a similar post a year ago? I think we may have redefined "addiction". 8O :lol: :lol:

Yeah I am amazed....

Sorry to say, but searching on forums (ANY forum) never gets you anywhere because you end up getting topics that have NOTHING to do with what you were searching for other than that they have ONE word in the whole thing.

One of my lfs was keeping this koi in a... I don't know what it was, it must've been like a 30-40 gal or something with this GIANT koi in it O__O poor thing could just about turn around in the tank but it was so freakin awesome! lol

i agree with talloulou...ive joined AA about 6 months ago...i dont post that often since i havent had problems after my tanks cycled...but...i always wake up a little earlier before going to work and read every single post...so if i ever have a problem...i kinda know what to do...but thats just me... :mrgreen:

sorry i didnt realise there was a 2nd page for this topic :oops: ....my post sounds a little out of place.... :?

lol...thanks puriti...i just read your post about your new thank...congrats!!! and looks nice btw... :D

I'd like people to hold off on further replies until robotwizard has a chance to reply.
No sense in beating a dead horse.

Back
Top Bottom