I can't keep up with my Adonis pleco!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelLover

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have never owned a fish that creates so much waste! I swear I am following him with the gravel siphon 24/7 to keep my substrate clean. He is at least six to seven inches long in my 55 gallon tank and getting about two to three hikari algae flakes daily. Is this too much food? Too little? Would one flake be okay?

I love my Hoover but he is driving me crazy. I am saving up for a larger tank specifically for him, as I do not feel 55 gallons is big enough for this beast.... I honestly don't have much pleco experience and was wondering if anyone could suggest the best tank size for an adult Adonis pleco? And also do you think I'm overfeeding him?

Here is the beast....
ForumRunner_20130211_100450.jpg
ForumRunner_20130211_100514.jpg
ForumRunner_20130211_100545.jpg

He's pretty cool looking!! I know nothing about the adonis I just wanted to say nice plec!!

Thank you! He was a complete impulse buy... I never thought i'd own a pleco until I saw him. I don't think I knew what I was getting myself into lol!

Lol, sounds like my hubby when he bought puffy.... I had absolutely no idea how much that darned little cutie was gonna put me through

Lol, sounds like my hubby when he bought puffy.... I had absolutely no idea how much that darned little cutie was gonna put me through

Lol! I swear these fish just steal our hearts sometimes. To answer one of my own questions I just found an image of an adult Adonis, apparently they lose their spots.

adonis6000gr1.jpgOMG! Imagine all the poo I'll be cleaning with this monster!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol! I swear these fish just steal our hearts sometimes. To answer one of my own questions I just found an image of an adult Adonis, apparently they lose their spots.

OMG! Imagine all the poo I'll be cleaning with this monster!!!

Wow that's a big plec! But i have to admit yours is gorgeous :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's difficult to overfeed a pleco. In the wild they're constantly grazing on algae. The problem, as you are aware of, is the end result of all that consumption. Their digestive track works on overdrive, especially in warmer water.

As far as tank size, get the biggest one you can afford. Monitor the nitrates and when it becomes too difficult to maintain, find a new home for the pleco, which is a beauty by the way. Prepare in advance because that day will come.

David

It's difficult to overfeed a pleco. In the wild they're constantly grazing on algae. The problem, as you are aware of, is the end result of all that consumption. Their digestive track works on overdrive, especially in warmer water.

As far as tank size, get the biggest one you can afford. Monitor the nitrates and when it becomes too difficult to maintain, find a new home for the pleco, which is a beauty by the way. Prepare in advance because that day will come.

David

I will hate to give him up but when the time comes I will give him to someone that can support him. From what my lfs told me he is a very slow grower but you never know! Thanks for your response!

- AngelLover + HooverForumRunner_20130211_163517.jpg

I don't know much about these guys but I would think 1 wafer would be plenty and that it would also cut down on waste. But I dunno enough about them...maybe they need to eat that much?

I don't know much about these guys but I would think 1 wafer would be plenty and that it would also cut down on waste. But I dunno enough about them...maybe they need to eat that much?

I have no clue! I only gave him one today we'll see what happens

Oh wow nice pleco!!! I'm in the process of researching plecos and just came across the adonis. The book I'm looking at (Tropical Freshwater Aquarium Fish from A-Z by Ulrich Schliewen) states it gets to 40" and recommends a 325 gal. Good luck!

Oh wow nice pleco!!! I'm in the process of researching plecos and just came across the adonis. The book I'm looking at (Tropical Freshwater Aquarium Fish from A-Z by Ulrich Schliewen) states it gets to 40" and recommends a 325 gal. Good luck!

Oh jeez lol I don't even know anyone with a tank that large... Guess I need to save up more than I thought lol o_O lol thank you

They get to be about three feet average and with age they will become jet black and lose all their spots.

OK so does anyone on here have a 300+ gallon tank that would be interested to take him on in a few years... Maybe less? Lol I think I'm in over my head

I have a 500g riverbed habitat started in my moms river and pond sanctuary with only my 2 oscars, 1 upside down giant black catfish and a pacu I rescued. Like I said before I've never come across one before and I think he's beautiful- let me know when/ if you need someone to take him- I'm very familiar with pleco as a species. I'd be willing to pay shipping, and there is no pressure, they slow down in growth at about 7-8 inches, just letting you know he's got a place- I can email pics of the basic set up- It's a work in progress, but it has been up and running for a couple of years now.

I have a 500g riverbed habitat started in my moms river and pond sanctuary with only my 2 oscars, 1 upside down giant black catfish and a pacu I rescued. Like I said before I've never come across one before and I think he's beautiful- let me know when/ if you need someone to take him- I'm very familiar with pleco as a species. I'd be willing to pay shipping, and there is no pressure, they slow down in growth at about 7-8 inches, just letting you know he's got a place- I can email pics of the basic set up- It's a work in progress, but it has been up and running for a couple of years now.

Wow that sounds perfect for him... If/when he outgrows my tank I will certainly reach out to you and this forum. I will feel much better knowing he is in good hands. he's really an awesome fish. Can I ask where you are located? The whole delivery thing makes me nervous but people do it all the time so if need be i'd be willing to work that out

I am in the northeastern usa, in Maine. The pacu I have was shipped to me from Arizona- I'll take care of live handling fees, enjoy him now though- I kept a tiger pleco in one of my tanks so long I forgot about him, until I went to take the tank down, lol, picked up a piece of driftwood and found him literally grown into it and a monstrous 10 inches!!

Back
Top Bottom