I caved and got a new puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puffergirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I miss my old puff but I just happened to pass the puffer tank in my LFS and boy what a little cutie swam right by me. That was it I had to take him home. What a livley little one too he put up quite a protest and puffed when he was netted! Now he is getting used to his new home.

OOh. That's not good that he puffed up when netted. Keep a close eye on him. If puffers puff atmospheric air, it can shock their system. Also, obviously, it's not good that they puff up at all in the first place!

But hopefully he's fine! If not, you can take him back and blame it on the store.

In the future, request that the net be used to coax him *underwater* into the plastic storage container or into the plastic bag. If he puffs up, at least he won't be puffing air.

I have kept a close watch on him and he seems to be fine. He is still getting used to his new home though, he has not really eaten anything since he came home with me. I know from my last puff that this is normal for them. He is still swimming up and down the glass and loves to play in the bubble wall.

Pics?

One pet store around me got in a bunch of Puffers and has them for sales. They have 5 Puffers in a large planted tank with about 50 feeder Guppies. The Guppies all stay in one group in the middle of the tank., trying not to be the next victim... 8)

He is a South American puffer. I'm working on the pics, I do have some of my other little guy in my gallery. He is one of the few fresh water puffers.

Can hard food (snails or the like) take the place of trimming, or is it a matter of course for the SA?

Unless you feed them alot of snails every day, they will need to be trimmed every six months or so. If they don't get trimmed, they will eventually not be able to eat.

Even more so for the SAP a couple of others. All puffers need to eat crunchy foods to keep their teeth trimmed.

Yes I know all too well about the tooth trimming had to do it every six months or so with my last one. I still have all my stuff for his trip to the dentist:)

Quick question though, do SA puffers like to be with others of its own kind or are they just as happy alone? My new guy looks a little sad, wondering if I should get him a friend from his old tank at my LFS.

This is one of the few puffers that seem to hang out in groups. If you have the room (7-10g/puff) then go get him a friend.

As always, Pufferpunk, you provide a wealth of puffer info, and I think Puffergirl already has a handle on the situation - I am now eyeing the 15gal fishless cycling in the corner...... been a while since I kept puffers!

Well just got home from Calgary with my new puffer! Wow what a difference I saw in my other one (Pudgy) he immidiatly swam over and now they are together all the time. I've named them Pudgy and Spyro.

Back
Top Bottom