I could really use some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishboy Jordan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just moved to jersey with my grandmom and she has this fish tank that very old and only has one fish a goldfish. i want to change it to a fresh water wonderland first i need to get all the green allege off the tank anyone have any tips how.[/b]

I think you need to give us a bit more info on the tank .....

I am not sure if your "change" means a total tear dwon, new fish, etc. or if you are keeping the goldfish & just wanting to clean things up.

There is no magic way of cleaning algae .... you take an algae scrubber & scrub away .... tough spots may need a razor or a scraper (glass tank only!).

If you are tearing the tank down, the algae will come off easier if you first soak it in a mild bleach solution (1:10) to kill it, but you'll still need to scrub! If you use bleach, be sure to rinse the tank very well <last rinse with a heavy dose of dechol> to remove all traces of it before adding fish.

Another thing to use if you are doing a complete tear-down is white vinegar. Wiping down with white vinegar will help get rid of the mineral deposits as well. Then rinse out thoroughly when done. I had to do this with my 55G that I got from a friend, had lots of dried white stuff on it, especially around the top of the tank. The white vinegar took it all off.

What size tank? That has nothing to do with cleaning algae, I'm just nosy. :D Scraping the algae off and cleaning with vinegar are the best, IMO.

The best thing is to get, like jsoong mentioned, is a razor with a handle
Something like:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=34941;category_id=2927;pcid1=3347;pcid2=

(it doesn't even have to be that fancy)

Depending on what size tank it is, it might be better to get rid of the goldie (er, if its a 10gal to be more specific)... but if you do that, take it to a mom and pop type fish store and they will find it a new home

Also, if you do completly tear down the tank, lonewolfblue had a good idea with the white vinegar... but I will reiterate- RINSE THOUROUGLY. Once you've rinsed it thouroughly... rinse it 3 more times.

Hey, that's great, that you are going to spruce up the tank!

If you are tearing down a tank that has a filter, be sure to save the filter media in some tank water so you don't have to cycle all over again.

If you are new at fishkeeping and don't know about cycling, etc., please ask! It would help if you could post what your plans are with the tank (keeping the goldfish versus starting over with tropicals...), so that people here can help you do it in the best possible way.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom