I couldnt let them die...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyKisses

Aquarium Advice Freak
I took my daughter to the only fish store in town today. She loves looking at all the fish. Well, they had a tank in the front on the store with a bunch of fish, and what I believe are Cory Catfish? We were walking around looking, when we heard them talking about euthanizing the catfish because they weren't selling. My heart sunk!! I couldn't let that happen! I told them I would take them home. So, now I have 6 cory cats. My tank was full stocked before, and I know it's over stocked now. I did the aqadvisor, and it says I'm at 115% stocked. Does anybody know how big they get? Should my tank be ok? I do very regular water changes, and my parameters are good. Here are some pics...

image-991147552.jpg

image-2243870867.jpg

Anyone know for sure what they are? There is 6 total, and three different kind.

I know for sure the goldish ones are albino Cory cats. But the other ones look like peppered Cory cats. Hard to tell from the pic. The very back ones look like emeralds

I know for sure the goldish ones are albino Cory cats. But the other ones look like peppered Cory cats. Hard to tell from the pic. The very back ones look like emeralds

image-3763913087.jpg

image-2727630618.jpg

In not sure if these are any better. It shows the one that I think may be the peppered, and one that doesn't look like the rest.

That other one is an emerald green Cory cat

Do you think they will be ok in my tank? I have a 30 gallon, 6 platies, 2 blue gouramis, and ACF, and an albino bristle nose pleco...

They will be fine in your tank. Thats nice of u to save the little fellows. If the bristle nose has a hide out then he might case them away. But that's the only thing that could happen. Other then that I'd let them buzz around your tank a live a great life :)

They will be fine in your tank. Thats nice of u to save the little fellows. If the bristle nose has a hide out then he might case them away. But that's the only thing that could happen. Other then that I'd let them buzz around your tank a live a great life :)

They seem pretty happy!! I just couldn't let them kill them, because they don't sell! That is horrible! They ended up giving them to me.

Iv never heard of stores killing fish. If that's the case then the store should be shut down. I would have torn that place a new a$$. Can't just kill something that won't sell. The fish can't help it. And it's not their fault that dumb a$$ beginner fish keepers(even some retard so called experts) can't see how cool these guys actually are. Cory cats are great additions to any community tank. My Cory's clean the hell out of my rocks and left over food. And they are hardy too

Iv never heard of stores killing fish. If that's the case then the store should be shut down. I would have torn that place a new a$$. Can't just kill something that won't sell. The fish can't help it. And it's not their fault that dumb a$$ beginner fish keepers(even some retard so called experts) can't see how cool these guys actually are. Cory cats are great additions to any community tank. My Cory's clean the hell out of my rocks and left over food. And they are hardy too

I had no idea they did that there! I was so upset, and still am! I guess I shouldn't expect much from a fish store that's inside and antique store. I have never had any problem with any fish I have gotten from them. I do not plan in going in there again though! I will drive an hour, if we want to go see the fish. I can't help every fish, but I could help these ones today. They are so cute! We love them! I know I will have to do more water changes now, but it is worth it to me. I just hope that, with six of them, they don't fight!

I had no idea they did that there! I was so upset, and still am! I guess I shouldn't expect much from a fish store that's inside and antique store. I have never had any problem with any fish I have gotten from them. I do not plan in going in there again though! I will drive an hour, if we want to go see the fish. I can't help every fish, but I could help these ones today. They are so cute! We love them! I know I will have to do more water changes now, but it is worth it to me. I just hope that, with six of them, they don't fight!

They do well in groups. Shouldn't have to worry about any conflicts.

Good job with saving them I couldn't stand 2 c those killed either

It was a very easy decision to make! One of them keeps getting on top of my African clawed frog when she is on the bottom. They are a lot if fun to watch! How can I make sure they get enough to eat? I just want to make sure they stay happy! :)

Mine love anything from sinking shrimp pellets to algae waffers lol. They eat anything and everything lol

Mine love anything from sinking shrimp pellets to algae waffers lol. They eat anything and everything lol

I don't have the shrimp pellets, but I have algae wafers. Do they like blood worms? My fish love frozen bloodworms!

Mine eat bloodworms as long as they hit the bottom before the fish eat them all.

this is a neat story! I have wanted to add some cories to my 29 because so many people here are fans! Look for a thread called Crazy Cories Anonymous, i think in the aquaria off-topic forum. super funny read!

By the way, since you added them already make sure you test your water parameters more often than usual, maybe even daily for the next week then twice weekly. Any ammonia or nitrites above 0.0ppm will be a tip-off if the filter's bacteria colonies are "over-fed"

The best advice I can give to help you avoid a mini-cycle due to the jump in bio-load is feed less! put everyone on a diet and don't spoil the cories with food yet. let your bacteria colony catch up as slowly as possible (water changes should do the trick no big deal)

plus they probably can snack on whatever the pleco doesn't fancy.

I'm going shopping me thinks :)

Back
Top Bottom