I didn't realise lfs advice could be sooooooo bad!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She did ask questions, she's just trusting the wrong person and not listening to anyone else. Why would she, the PS is telling her what she wants to hear, that she's doing all the stuff, and it looks so pretty as is, Why Change? No one is dieing, yet.
Some people choose ignorance, if ignorance give them what they want and knowledge means changing.

WendiDell said:
I think sneaking a fish out at a time would be a great idea. When she finally notices, just tell her that they must have converted to cannibalism in order to get more territory to breath and swim in.
It sounds mean I know, I hate even thinking it let alone recommending it. But she may think twice about replacing them, which she would do if they just disappeared. And since she doesn't seem willing to listen to someone who knows more about overstocking than she does, a little white lie will save a lot of fish lives.

This maybe the best way forward, it's sad to say.
If she wont listen then you should take charge yourself.
She probably wouldn't even notice if they went missing I bet.

Ickletas said:
Comes straight back to the first rule of fishkeeping : Do the opposite of what your lfs tells you :ROFLMAO:

Some people just don't know any better at first.
Everyone starts somewhere.
I think stores need to be properly trained to give the correct advice. Rather than lie. That's where most people start. Afterall, you should be able to trust them.
The only way pets at home tell you to cycle is by waiting 3 days then adding four fish. Then gradually adding more after a few weeks. Sad really!

titchrules said:
Some people just don't know any better at first.
Everyone starts somewhere.
I think stores need to be properly trained to give the correct advice. Rather than lie.

At my LFS every employee has to have a formal qualification in fishkeeping in order to work there and all of them have their own tanks. I only ever get my fish/supplies from there because they really do know their stuff.

Is there any way you could offer to do a fish swap? Then you could offer her appropriate sized fish (or shrimp/snails) in exchange for the ones that really won't cope in there - like that clown loach. Otherwise, I like the ninja approach :)

Well I called my friend this morning and she seems to be a bit more open to suggestions YAY!!!! I'm going round later as there are a few tanks nearby for sale on Ebay that are not too expensive (I told her I'll buy it and she can pay me back when she has the cash) and maybe pick one up in the next couple of days. As for Coco (I named the clown loach lol) my mother in law has 5 of them in her 190 litre (50usg) with an Angel and 6 or so Mollies so she said she would take him if I can break him out :). I told her that I will help her cycle the tank and then sort out the stocking, starting with what is in the Edge which will then just be the Betta's tank. I believe we can chalk this one up as a win!! +1 for the good guys!

Ickletas said:
I believe we can chalk this one up as a win!! +1 for the good guys!

Haven't you ever seen any movies, the good guys always win! If those fish could talk they would thank you!

Aquadestroyer said:
I know the feeling lol, but not all of us who work at pet stores are completely ignorant, but a lot of people who come into the store are, not all of them are willing to take advice too.

Newbies never listen, one of the great downfalls to the hobby :(

No not everyone who works in one is. But people do go and should be able to trust there advice. Each store has it's own advice. None really match together.
As I've said before a fish keeping bible should be made :)

I will agree. In most cases anyway. Every time we ask them if a certain fish will go ok with another kind, they always say "Oh yea definitely they will be alright". Well we get them home and its the complete opposite. For instance, we have a Platy tank..with some neons as well. We bought two Serpae tetras. Soon as we put them in there they attacked one of my Platys extremely bad. After a day, we took the two serpaes out and put them into a bucket (not trying to kill them) but we did that in the mean time until we got another fish tank the next day. We ended up getting a 36 gallo, but them into it, then bought 3 more. Since then we bought 5 silvertip tetras which the serpaes are fine with.
We just learned things on our own with compatibility.

They'll tell you alot of things to make a sale

I'm soooo glad you didn't have do fallow my suggestion and that your friend came around.
It's very good of you to get her a larger tank now and let her pay you back later.
It sounds like this has turned into a story with a happy ending.

Back
Top Bottom