I don’t know if I am just being needy(UPDATED STOCKING)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devon Greatwolf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I don’t know if I am just being needy, looking for "Ata boys” or for the old "What in Neptune's name were you thinking?", but here it goes.

* 30 Gallon (84dF): Mating Pair of German Blue Rams (Blue-Boy and Girlie); 7 Rasbora Hets; 5 Rummy Nose Tetras; 2 Neon Tetras; 1 Amazon Sword; 3 Java Ferns; and a small "clump" of hornwort.

* 55 gallon:2 Bosemani Rainbows (M/F); 2 Turquoise Rainbows (M/F); 2 Male Keyholes (Lefty and Dead-Eye); 1 Dwarf Gourami (Cocky); 1 Honey Flame Gourami; 3 Panda Cories; 2 Albino Cories (Toot and Blow); 1 7" Red Finned Rainbow Shark(Killer); 1 Java Fern; 1 large bunch of hornwort.

* 30-Gallon (TEMP HOSPITAL TANK - 80 dF): 1 5" Female Opaline Gourami (MS. Blue) [to be moved to the 20 gallon hospital]. She is a little "beat up" treated with melafix app a month ago and gave her a week or two of salt before trying Mardel (I think). Now she has just had and tank cleaning and is waiting for a couple of weeks before re-housing.

*20 gallon Hospital tank: Setup and "settling"

*20 gallon QT tank: Needs Heater and Filter

* All tanks Have Whisper Power filters rated at tank size (the 20 has a whisper 30) and the 55 has one Hagen AquaClear rated at half tank size running dual sponges and Hagen BioMax.

* Except where noted, Temps are all kept stable at an "average" based on fish preference, of app. 74-77 dF.

* All tanks have Spectra Stone Substrate (4 parts almond color standard grain to 1 part fine grain black). All tanks "realistically" planted with artificial plants, with many slate caves, large driftwood displays, and scattered "polished river" stones/granite pebbles.

* 4 additional 20-gallon tanks 2 shelved and ready to set up (1 on a stand) and 1 20 gallon waiting for me to finish a stand. I would like to heavily plant one with an open top for a peace lily (think I saw that done here) and drop in a very nice, very blue betta (and maybe some cardinal tetras or the like). One tank I would like to be a "Shelly" biotope/species tank. I have toyed with the idea of using a twenty for a dwarf puffer biotope. All this leaves one 20 to be decided.

* If you want to know more, just ask!

* You can also find me on MySpace as myspace.com/devongreatwolf. (Pics of Tanks here!!)

Any and all thoughts, suggestions, and/or comments truly appreciated and welcomed.

Out of all that, I do have one thing that's popped up into mind...peace lily leaves should not be underwater...only the roots. That may be difficult to accomplish in a 20...long or high. You may need to come up with a container that will allow the roots in the water, but keep the leaves out of the water. The leaves can rot quickly when submersed...which is why you generally only see them sticking out of betta bowls when kept like that.

What might help are those clear plastic planter dishes that are meant to catch water when watering plants...make a cross slit in the center and push the roots through. The plastic should allow the plant to float, keeping the leaves out of the water, but the roots under the plastic submersed. You might be able to put some gravel or moss (moss is lighter) in the dish around the stems to hide the dish.

Anthuriums are another nice plant that can be kept in the same way as peace lilies...but with different colored blooms...colors include red, pink, purple, orange and white that I know of.

I think your idea of doing a tank of shellies is a good one. I made the same decision myself recently and am just waiting for the fish at this point. I had to order them over the web because my LFS couldn't get any for two or three months from their suppliers. I did research for several weeks before deciding on what I wanted to put in the tank. Do you have an idea on what fish you would like?

First, thank you for your comments, thoughts, and time they are all appreciated very much!!

TCTFish said:
Out of all that, I do have one thing that's popped up into mind...peace lily leaves should not be underwater...

Thanks for the advice. I had already started thinking of how to keep the plant afloat.

TCTFish said:
Anthuriums are another nice plant that can be kept in the same way as peace lilies...but with different colored blooms...colors include red, pink, purple, orange and white that I know of.

I will definitely look into these.

gheitman said:
I think your idea of doing a tank of shellies is a good one. I made the same decision myself recently and am just waiting for the fish at this point. I had to order them over the web because my LFS couldn't get any for two or three months from their suppliers. I did research for several weeks before deciding on what I wanted to put in the tank. Do you have an idea on what fish you would like?

I hope I am not breaking any rules but I have discussed this with others at the following link: http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=46726&highlight=

I still am not sure how to go about this...or what fishes would work best. I have a really nice tube worm base structure that looks really nice and would be great small cave spawners, so I thought maybe a pair of cave spawners in with the Shellies. Any thoughts or advice on this setup would definitely be appreciated. Peace

I don't think people here have any problems when you point to another site. I think we are big enough to realize that one site won't fit all. I am probably a regular on half a dozen sites related to aquariums, planted tanks, cichlids, shell dwellers, etc.

After reading your thread on "that other site" :) FrontosaKing had pretty much described my shell dweller setup without even seeing it. I'll post some pictures to this web site as soon as the fish are in it.

I highly recommend visiting www.cichlid-forum.com and looking at their "cookie cutter" setups for tanks your size and then visiting the Lake Tanganyika board on their discussion forum. They may give you some ideas you hadn't already considered.

I also suggest you visit www.shelldwellers.com for more specific information on species, tank setups, etc. I've found both sites very useful. Of course, this is still my favorite site.

I decided on getting half a dozen multies for my first shell dweller tank and am really looking forward to their arrival. I picked them because I was fascinated by their colony organization and behavior.

Hope this helps.

gheitman

Thank you very much for the tips I will turn my mind there and let it find what it can. May peace always find you.

New stocking

* 30 Gallon B (84dF): Mating Pair of German Blue Rams (Blue-Boy and Girlie); 7 Rasbora Hets; 5 Rummy Nose Tetras; 1 Neon Tetra; 1 broad leaf anubias and 2 narrow leaf anubias (were labeled as mixed anubias at LFS); 3 Java Ferns; fist sized clump of java moss and a small "clump" of hornwort.

* 55 gallon: 2 Bosemani Rainbows (M/F); 2 Turquoise Rainbows (M/F); 2 Male Keyholes (Lefty and Dead-Eye); 1 Dwarf Gourami (Cocky); 3 Panda Cories; 2 Albino Cories (Toot and Blow); 1 7" Red Finned Rainbow Shark(Killer); 1 Java Fern; 1 round leaf anubias; 1 large bunch of hornwort.

* 30-Gallon A: 3 typical Tiger Barbs; 3 Green Tiger Barbs; 1 Amazon Sword; 2 plants which look like A. Swords but were labeled as mixed anubias.

*20 gallon A (82dF for healing wounds): 1 5" Female Opaline Gourami (MS. Blue); a few small “balls” (marble size) of java moss; Filter = Whisper 40i.

*20 gallon B (82dF for healing wounds): 1 Honey Flame Gourami (was being beat/intimidated up by my Dwarf G. and Rainbows); 1 hand size clump of hornwort; Filter = Whisper 40i.

*20 gallon African: 15 pounds of crushed coral; 10 pounds of coral colored spectra stone (fine grain); Plan on a pair of rock/cave dwellers/spawners; and 3+ strong harem of Shellies.

* All tanks Have Whisper Power filters rated at tank size (accept as noted) and the 55 has an additional Hagen AquaClear rated at half tank size running dual sponges and Hagen BioMax.

* Except where noted, Temps are all kept stable at an "average" based on fish preference, of app. 74-77 dF.

* All tanks have Spectra Stone Substrate (4 parts almond color standard grain to 1 part fine grain black). All tanks "realistically" planted with artificial plants, with many slate caves, large driftwood displays, and scattered "polished river" stones/granite pebbles.

* 2 additional 20-gallon tanks shelved and ready to set up as hospital and QT and 1 20 gallon waiting for me to finish a stand and set up for dwarf puffers (maybe).

* You can also find me on MySpace: ww.myspace.com/devongreatwolf.

Just a tad off-topic, I have a very bushy rescued (from the nextdoor house from my old house) peace lily in my bedroom window which has literally grown from nothing (due to a cat eating all the leaves!!!) to a big leafed plant, I'll probably need to re-pot it as it's already outgrowing the one I put it in a few months ago!!! :lol:

So be careful with yours if you have one, they're fast growers... :D

updated stocking

* 55 gallon A: 3 Bosemani Rainbows (M/2F); 3 Turquoise Rainbows (M/2F); 2 Male Keyholes (Lefty and Dead-Eye); 3 Panda Cories; 2 Albino Cories (Toot and Blow); 1 7" Red Finned Rainbow Shark(Killer);2 green wendtii; 1 red wendtii; 3 Java Fern; 1 round leaf anubias; 1 large bunch of hornwort.

* 55 gallon B: Future home of a pair of Jack Dempsey’s; a trio of red devils; and my large pleco; Black and almond fine spectra stone substrate; Large driftwood arrangement; extra large java fern (inserted into hollow vertical driftwood); and soon all the large rocks from my 20 gallon QT tanks.

* 30-Gallon A: 3 typical Tiger Barbs; 3 Green Tiger Barbs; 1 Amazon Sword; 2 plants which look like A. Swords but were labeled as mixed anubias; 1 Java Fern; “good-sized” clump of hornwort; and a fist-sized java moss covered stone.

* 30 Gallon B (84dF): Mating Pair of German Blue Rams (Blue-Boy and Girlie); 7 Rasbora Hets; 5 Rummy Nose Tetras; 1 Neon Tetra; 1 broad leaf anubias and 2 narrow leaf anubias (were labeled as mixed anubias at LFS); 2 Java Ferns; fist sized clump of java moss and a small "clump" of hornwort.

*20 gallon A: one unknown fry; 3 otto’s; one “water onion”; various Anubias and Crypts in QT; Filter = Whisper 40i.

*20 gallon B (82dF for healing wounds): 1 5" Female Opaline Gourami (MS. Blue); a few small “balls” (marble size) of java moss, 1 java fern; small bunch of hornwort; Filter = Whisper 40i.

*20 gallon C QT: 1 12+” Pleco; a few large flat, algae covered stones; Filter = Whisper 20i and homemade sponge filter.

*20 gallon D QT: 1 6+” Jack Dempsey; a few large flat, algae covered stones and one large “holey rock” made into caves; Filter = Whisper 20i and homemade sponge filter.

*20 gallon E: (Future shell dweller tank) 15 pounds of crushed coral; 10 pounds of coral colored spectra stone (fine grain); Plan on a pair of rock/cave dwellers/spawners possible Dickfeldi’s; and colony of either multi’s or ocellatus.

* All tanks Have Whisper Power filters rated at tank size (accept as noted) and the 55 has an additional Hagen AquaClear rated at half tank size running dual sponges and Hagen BioMax.

* All tanks (except QT’s) have Spectra Stone Substrate (4 parts almond color standard grain to 1 part fine grain black). All tanks "realistically" planted with artificial plants, with many slate caves, large driftwood displays, and scattered "polished river" stones/granite pebbles.

* 2 additional 20-gallon tanks shelved and ready to set up as hospital and QT and 1 20 gallon waiting for me to finish a stand and set up for dwarf puffers (maybe).

looks like a mighty fine case of MTS there wolf :).
nice setups. all tanks seem adequately stocked. just a note, 55B won't be stable in a long term.

triazole said:
55B won't be stable in a long term.

How do you mean? Problems with compatability or size issues?

The owner of my LFS has raised Dempseys extensively and said the Red Devils should do fine.

I do realize that at some point the Pleco will probably out grow a 55.

from what i've read so far, a 55g is a bare minimum for a full-grown devil. a 75g would be better. so, after the rd's grow up, the dominant one will destroy the other two, and most likely shred the jd's.
the best bet would be not to add the rd's in that tank.

New stock list

* 55 gallon A: 3 Bosemani Rainbows (M/2F); 3 Turquoise Rainbows (M/2F); 3 Yellow Rainbows (M/2F); 2 Male Keyholes (Lefty and Dead-Eye); 3 Panda Cories; 1 7" Red Finned Rainbow Shark (Killer); 2 green wendtii; 1 red wendtii; 4 Java Fern; 2 anubias hastifolia; 1 round leaf anubias; 1 water onion; 1 5” Japanese Moss ball; large bunch of hornwort. Whisper 30-60 filter with secondary filtration from Hagen AquaClear rated at half tank size running dual sponges and Hagen BioMax.

* 55 gallon B: Large Jack Dempsey; 6 Giant Danios; large pleco (app 14”); extra large java fern ; bunch of hornwort; and various large rocks stacked to form caves. Dual Whisper 30-60 filters.

* 30 Gallon A: 3 typical Tiger Barbs; 3 Green Tiger Barbs; 2 Platinum Green Tiger Barbs; 1 Albino Tiger Barb; 2 Albino Cories (Toot and Blow); 1 Amazon Sword; 2 Java Fern; 1 “Lace” Java Fern; “good-sized” clump of hornwort. Whisper 30 filter.

* 30 Gallon B (84dF): 3 juvenile German Blue Rams (M/2FM); 1 adult female GBR (Girlie); 5 Rummy Nose Tetras; 1 Neon Tetra; 1 juvenile Rainbow (possible Bosemani/Turquoise hybrid); 1 broad leaf anubias and 2 narrow leaf anubias (were labeled as mixed anubias at LFS); 3 Java Ferns; app. 15-20 small assorted crypts; 1 3.5” Japanese Moss ball. Whisper 30 filter.

*20 gallon A: 1 Male Betta (Blue with red highlights); 7 Rasbora Hets; 2 Java ferns; 1 small crypt; clump of hornwort; Filter = Whisper 40i.

*20 gallon B: 1 5" Opaline Gourami (MS. Blue); 1 java fern; Filter = Whisper 40i.

*20 gallon C QT: Filter = Whisper 20i and homemade sponge filter.

*20 gallon D QT: Filter = Whisper 20i and homemade sponge filter.

*20 gallon E: Pair of Neolamprogus Pulcher (Daffodil); 2 “Lace” Java ferns; 2 sword-like plants; 5 Anubias Nana; crushed coral and aragonite mix substrate. Whisper 30 filter.

* Except where noted, Temps are kept stable at an "average" based on fish preference, app. 74-77 dF.

* All tanks (except QT’s and Tanganyikan) have Spectra Stone Substrate (4 parts almond color standard grain to 1 part fine grain black). All tanks "realistically" planted with artificial plants, with many slate caves, large driftwood displays, and scattered "polished river" stones/granite pebbles.

* Additional 20-gallon and 30 gallon tanks (1 ea.) waiting for me to finish a stands.

Back
Top Bottom