I don't know what happened...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

okpondlady

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My ammonia problem seemed to be solved. NitrItes: 0ppm, Ammonia: 0ppm, Ph: 6.8-7, and NitrAtes: 10 ish. I removed that Zeolite. The levels held steady. Been several days now. I have been turning off the lights at night. I added a new food, have been giving them a few pellets of floating Tetra Multi-Mix. When I left this morning everything seemed fine. I did the tests last night.. all was still good. Not even a quiver. When I got home at 2, I had 3 dead koi and a goldie that is laying on its side. Looked like suds in the top of the tank, not alot but just around the edges.
The only think I can think of is maybe one of the kids put their hands in the tank?? They do know better so I tend to doubt it. I did an immediate 50% water change and added the Chloramine, Chlorine, and Ammonia remover stuff. Oh yeah, all my snails are dead too. My 2 Plecos are fine though, or seem to be. I have one goldie that seems ok. Thank God for Pythons or I would have never been able to get the water changed.
I did take a sample of the origional water and I will post it when I get it tested, but I can't find the timer. Probably in one of the kids rooms.
I just wish I knew what happened. I am just heartsick.

Karen

I don't know....when questioned no one admits to it.

Here are the numbers I got.

NitrAtes: 0
NitrItes: 0
Ammonia: 8 and darker than that darn colored strip
Ph: 6.0

I did the water change will do another one tomorrow. From what I am reading, the white coloring I am seeing in the slime coats is a reaction to high ammonia readings. The one is moving better now and swimming around but still having a hard time staying much under the water line. It stays pretty much at the top. The other one is down farther and doing better. I am assuming the plecos are ok... seem to be to me.

Karen

you might want to consider doing some bigger water changes.. just drain the tank down to were the fish are still wet and fill it back up a couple of times (im assuming you got some soap in there)

Back
Top Bottom