I dont know what i want

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joemamauggly

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an empty 30 gallon tank right now and I'm really confused as what I can do with it.
I gave all my fish to my uncle because I wanted to restart. I was thinking of maybe having Only 3-4 big fish but medium fish are cool to. I was thinking maybe a

Black moor
Convict cichlid
Red tail shark
Angel pair( leaning less towards them)
Or anything else that you can think of
( I may or may not be upgrading to a 55 within a year)

The Moor, RTS, and an angelfish pair are all unsuitable for that size tank, each species needs a much larger tank. Don't know about the convict cichlid. You could look into Pearl Gouramis or perhaps Upside down catfish (3). Your limited in that size tank.

Rivercats knows more than me about angels, so I guess a pair IS unsuitable for a 30, although I always thought that it was OK :ermm: The RTS would be unsuitable for a 30, and I'm not sure about the moor, a goldie expert like jlk would have to chime in for that. A pair of convicts would work, but, don't put anything else in the tank or it will be quickly killed.

Also the black moor needs cold water whereas the rest are tropical so they wouldn't be able to live together anyway if that is what you were planning.

Have you considered getting one maybe two medium fish and a few smaller ones? My tank is around the same size as yours and I have 1 angelfish and a few other tetras, corydoras and hatchetfish. A gourami sounds like a good idea too, I'm sure there are loads of options :)

Before I got my tank I was thinking about all of these bigger fish, but a 30 gallon isn't really that big when you look at it :( I was kind of disappointed at first as I felt a bit limited but now I love the fish I've got and I'm really glad the way it's turned out.

An angel pair in a 30g is really pushing it. Some angels get very large and if there is an actual pair and spawning occurs the problem comes from the tank being so small and any other inhabitants have little room to hide/escape or just room to stay away from the spawning pairs territory. When a pair has a larger tank they are usually more lax about how much territory they need because other fish in the tank have alot of space to stay in and tend not to venture into the angels spawning area making the pair feel more relaxed due to there just being more tank space.

As for Moors, they get really large and need to be kept in a pond. A 30g tank would be suitable for 1 fancy goldfish. I have 7 very large fancies split between two tanks. Due to goldies high bio-load and the fact they produce large amounts of ammonia and copious amounts of waste they need a large tank with excellent filtration and weekly 50% WC's.

In a 30 you could do a nice little community with say a Pearl gourami, a nice sized school of tetras or rasboras, and either a group of say kuhli loaches or cory cats for bottom dwellers.

She was just trying to give you others that could potentially work since the list you gave has some issues.

I was jjust saying that I was only looking to have 1-2 fish not trying to be mean

Moors are beautiful fish but dont choose one if you expect it to stay black unless you want to pay big bucks from a breeder. If you plan on upgrading to a 55g sooner rather than later, you can get away with a moor in 30g even possibly two as long as you are religious about water changes- 50+% no less than twice a week because your nitrates need to stay low. I have 2 in a 55 and I know Im pushing it with them in there because they are quite large but its for this winter. Next winter, I will need to either find a larger tank for them or decide if I want to risk keeping them outdoors for the winter. Please ask if you have questions!

Thanks for the help I'm probably going to go withthe convicts or a single black moor

Rivercats knows more than me about angels, so I guess a pair IS unsuitable for a 30, although I always thought that it was OK :ermm: The RTS would be unsuitable for a 30, and I'm not sure about the moor, a goldie expert like jlk would have to chime in for that. A pair of convicts would work, but, don't put anything else in the tank or it will be quickly killed.

Could I do 1 convict and ill get my2 Bolivians back or will they fight

In that tank two convicts is really it IMO. And once again totally agree with river here the convicts will kill your rams quickly.

I would do a pair of con's pink or black. Trust me when they start breeding it won't be boring.

Will different colors cross breed plus how do I sex them at the store

Back
Top Bottom