I feel like a real chicken.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StarrKill

Aquarium Advice Regular
Today when i was moving my betta from its "plastic cup" to its big glass bowl, i didnt have a net, and was going to move him with a plastic spoon. try to simply scoop and plop. although, the second i put the spoon in the water, the boy jumped right out onto the kitchen counter. needless to say, i screamed bloody murder and almost had a heart attack. i left it there for a second. my mom was sort of standing there assisting me if neccessary, and what we did was, i put the glass bowl under the rim of the kitchen counter, and she scooted the fish with the spoon toward the bowl so it could hop in. i was scared to death because i had to hold the bowl. i was mortified. i dont understand why i am so scared of them. i mean, i love fish dont get me wrong, but the sliminess and whatnot just creeps me out. i am afraid to touch them or anything. (note to self: must get fish net) i was afraid it was going to jump on me. although i know it cant harm me, i still freaked. anyway, i just feel kinda stupid about this. :oops:

Dont feel bad . I have a coral banded eel . And i will not stick my hand in the tank if he is moving around . I know he is harmless but its the thought of his brother the coral snake .

Starrkill,
My mom freaks the same way. I think it's a girl thing. Don't be throwing things at me, but I used to be an angler. As you know that involves not only touching fish, but cutting them up alive. Ewwww god blood sports are so barbaric. Like I said I "used" to be an angler. Anyway enough about that grossness. As you probably know a fishes slime is it's protective coating. If you had touched it with your hands, it more than likely would have died. Give him a shot of Stress-Coat in his bowl just to be sure. It works pretty well at replacing slime. On the other hand if a fish is in water touching them delicately can be a bonding experience. I have an oscar that will come up and rub my hand. It's quite neat actually. (Bonks Starrkill over the head!!!!!! """"""BUY A NET"""""" :D :D

Anytime you handle a fish whether with your hands or a net, it damages the slime coating. It also, as you might imagine, stresses the fish out some. Don't feel too bad about it. I'm afraid of spiders actually. Let one get on me and there'll be a smoking hole in the roof where I was. Not scared of anything else though...guess we all have something like that.....
Logan J

I am also an angler, but I only fish saltwater. So yell at me and scream at the irony of it all but who cares. I am also afraid of some things, who is'nt. Dont feel bad. At least you didnt kill it.

yeah. its lasted one whole day here at home. one day longer than it would have at the store in his plastic cup. loganj, i am very scared of spiders myself. very. also, snakes. but thats it. (you know, other than fish trying to jump on me and all....lol) anyway, yes, i do plan to buy a net. :)

i am totally freaked out by my pleco, im always scared hell like stick to my hand when its in there. I dunno they are just freaky, cuz they stick to everything bah.. gives me the shivers.

Why on earth was you goldfish kept in a plastic cup? That sounds very cruel! Plecs will not stick to your hand, they are very shy little(or big) things. Have you got a big or little one? How big is your? Have you measured it lately? :wink: :wink:

mines about 3 inches or so, he gets to a max of 5 inches, its a rubber pleco, but ive seen big ones, wow they are crazy

Vicshaw said:
Why on earth was you goldfish kept in a plastic cup? That sounds very cruel! Plecs will not stick to your hand, they are very shy little(or big) things. Have you got a big or little one? How big is your? Have you measured it lately? :wink: :wink:

it was a betta actually, not a goldfish. but its still no excuse for them to do that.

Back
Top Bottom