I Finally found it!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hsherman1986

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently purchased what was labeled as a blue wood shrimp. I have talked to some people on here about him, and just thought I would share what I found a few minutes ago.

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_atyopsis.php

I finally found some more information. And in reading this information (along with some other profiles I found when I found its scientific name) have decided to pull him out of my 55g American Cichlid tank and move him into my 20g GBR tank. I figure he probably has a better shot of not being eaten in there until I upgrade the 55g. Then, he will go back in the 55g with fish that are more suitable to house with him.

Here is the shrimp that I have

Attachments

• blueshrimp3_168.jpg
    blueshrimp3_168.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 62
they are not claws. they are fan filters. Completly harmless to other fish. This is a different creature that the commonly sold blue lobsters/crayfish.

no its not, it is the white moon sand from petsmart. I couldn't find white PFS, so I had to get this stuff to get the look i wanted. It is really fine, it was hard to clean, but once it was, it settled down in the tank quite nicely. It never stays suspended in the water very long when one of the fish stir it up.

Yea, he rocks. I just moved him into a 20g last night, he seems to have made the adjustment ok. There is a piece of driftwood in the tank that he has made a hiding spot under, but at least I can see him easier in the 20g. Only time I would see himm in the 55g is after a water change (when I disturbed his hiding spot.)

Ah, the 'vampire' shrimp....very nice, I have 3 myself and could not be happier with them.

zenkatydid, those 'claws' are more like 'stabbers'...they are used for anchoring in strong current and climbing small waterfalls.

Is yours clumsy? Mine is always running into plants, and the sides of the tank.

He seems to have found the best hiding spot in his new home, and has not come out since. I squirted some algea flakes at him this morning, and that kinda made him poke his head out a little.

And toirtis, you are right about the "stabbers"

Back
Top Bottom