I FINALLY GOT IT!!! (44 gallon)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sudz

Aquarium Advice Addict
HEY GUYS!

I'm WAY to excited for my own good... but after waiting almost 4 months... i got my 44 gallon perfecto pentagon!!!

I've got it 3/4 filled, with my Aquaclear 70 running now, and a hagen 201 powerhead (didn't want too strong a current, and i got it for 16 bucks canadian :p)

Got the gravel in. 40 pounds of eco-complete, and 25 pounds of brown spectra (generic) stone.

Gawd. took 10 trips up and down 2 flights of stairs to fill it 3/4's the way.

It came with an 18 inch NO florescent lightstrip. it LOOKS decent... but i have that 96 watt PC 6700k 18inch kit coming in.

Also, i'm STILL waiting for my 200 watt heater to come. Assuming the lights come before the heater, will my plants be ok in a 70*f tank?

I've got some fish food to "soil" up the water a bit, and i've got the bio matter from my 10 gallon in the aquaclear.

Its even BIGGER than i thought it would look! Its DEFINATELY the centerpiece of my room now. Stolen from my ub3r computer with black lights all in it :p

anywho, I'm going to test the water, then go to bed. I'm pooped!

*does the tired but happy dance*

:D I know you're excited about your new set up sudz but a word of caution. 96 watts of light without CO2 injection is going to cause lots of algae problems in that tank.

What plants do you have? I wouldn't worry about them as most will survive just fine at room temperature.

I've already got the epoxy curing on a 2x 2 litre DIY CO2 system ;-)
thanks for the heads up!

Oh! Typically, How long does it take for the chlorine to evaporate out of water? i did put a generous amount of big al's water conditioner in it... but i don't trust it, lol

I've left a bit of fish food in the tank, though there are no fish. I have to go away for the weekend... so i'm hoping it'll be on its way to cycled by monday

and i hope my ruddy heater comes in.

All the chlorine won't eveporate from the water anyway. There are chloreamines in tabwater, that for a more stabile compound and can not be evaporated. Therefore you will always have to use water conditioner (at least in the USA :roll: ). Big Als water conditioner should be fine if it's to remove chlorine, chloramines, whatsoever.

Congratulations on the new tank. To make water changes and filling easier you could get a python water change system. I love my python, and as your MTS grows it will continue to make water changes easier.

How big of bucket do you have? That's a lot of running up and down stairs. If there's no faucet, for your PWC's, I'd recommend getting a couple 5 gallon buckets if your current one is smaller.

a 4 gallon bucket. I'd only fill it up to 3 gallons to avoid spillage. My mom was also using the upstairs bathroom at the time. Couldn't wait. I'm at my girlfriend in londons, And i found out while i was at work that the heater i ordered was on back order, so i cancelled it, ran to big al's and bought a 200 watt heater. I added hot water to the tank and now its stable at 79*f. Ammonia, none, Nitrites none, Nitrates none. Chlorine/bromine none, PH is 7.2 and GH is 10 degrees, and KH is 12 degrees. KH kinda suprised me, as my 10 gallon is at 4. :S

Back
Top Bottom