I found my first MTS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An t-iasg

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found a Malaysian trumpet snail embedded in my java moss. I removed it and placed it a plastic cup, with a plant leaf. (The leaf was yellow anyway.) I know, I felt bad, lol.

This is only a 5 gallon tank. I may have left it alone if I had a bigger tank. I don't want the snails to overrun my 5 gallon or hurt my plants. I know some people like them for the substrate aeration that they provide. I know that I may find some more also.

What are your thoughts? Should it stay or should it go? :wink:

I'd have to agree with your first instinct, let it go. Before long they will definitely overrun the tank.I am battling a snail infestation in my son's 5 gal right now.

Why remove it? One of the plant safe snails. They will rapidy grow in numbers, my initial tank I could count upwards of 20 after the first month no telling how many know. Also in a previous post it mentioned eggs on plant with MTS. This is not the case they are livebearers.

I was just searching the web on MTS. I found that they usually don't hurt plants, and if they eat the leaves, it will be the yellow/decaying leaves. But when I found out that they are livebearers, I decided not to put it back in the tank. If I had a large tank, I may have left it in. But since I only have a 5 gallon, I think it would become a problem very soon, so I removed it.

The only real issue with MTS is population control. If you have a sand substrate MTS are great because they'll stir up the sand bed for you.

it's pretty easy to remove the larger ones to keep population under control, but if you don't want em, just toss em.

How sure are we that MTS doesn't eat plants? They seem to be teh only thing that could be munching my plants. They do seem to only eat the new leaves on my swords. Once the leaf gets bigger it is left alone. But darn it, I don't want little holes in all my leafs.

I've got a five gallon FULL of MTS, and have been wondering about that for a while.

As far as population control goes, has anyone ever thought of or experienced a population "kill-off"?? I'm thinking these snails will produce to no end, then some start to die off, fouling the water, then all inhabitants die off. . .any thoughts?

I certainly don't mind having a bunch of MTS, they have not touched plants and tank is doing very well.

I suppose a large die-off could foul the water, especially in a small tank like a 5 gallon. What fish do you have in your tank? Anything that will eat the snails?

I read that you can take something like a shot glass, bury it in the substrate a little, put an algae wafer in, and overnight the snails will go into the shot glass. I've also read that you can use a weighed-down lettuce leaf. The next morning, pull out the shot glass or lettuce leaf and all the snails sticking to it. This could help with the population control a little.

MTS are very useful in a planted tank. The best part is if you order off aquabid you can get them in various colors :lol: I just ordered 50 to add to my 90g. MTS eat excess food and dying plant leaves turning it into wonderful plant fertilizer. They also keep the substrated stirred. That means no anaerobic pockets, loose substrate for plant roots to grow in, and you don't have to use your hands or tools that might damage the roots or stir small particles into the water column. MTS only multiply to match the amount of food in the tank and also dislike bright light. They spend most of their time in the substrate during the day and come out at night to clean your tank. If you have too many MTS your either overfeeding, they found a great food source like a dead plant or fish, or you don't actually have MTS. You can catch snails in a film container or similar with a hole punched in the end and some bait added or just scoop them off the glass in the morning when the lights first come on.

Back
Top Bottom