i found out something about snails.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
its either the shape or the amount of gas exchange or something but if you drop a snail upside down itll always go flat like the foot will be on the bottom. like a cat :)

itll always go flat like the foot will be on the bottom

I dunno Krap. I think I'm gonna have to disagree with you. Only because of the snails that I put into the tanks at WM never land right side up. I always wondered if they could right themselves if they were "on their back" so to speak. Cause I always flip them rightside up when I drop the new ones in the tanks.

I would be interested in knowing where you heard this information, or could you tell me more about it? I've been kinda curious about the same thing.

Thanks.

oh. i tested it today. i was playing with my snail (the big one) and he fell off. he flipped over and almost did a perfect landing

Hmm...I played devil as well and tested it with mine..and it landed on it's back, so to speak. That is funny. Maybe mine is just weird :wink:

Can you send me a link to where you found the information? Or tell me where you heard it? I would be interested in reading more about it.

Thanks, Krap.

err i didnt find it on the internet. lol. i like playing with my snails. get em in my hand. let em crawl around. this one time i didnt let it have enough time to extend its "foot" so it fell off. and while it was falling it did a flip like thing and then landed not perfectly (a lil slanted) but it landed for the most part right side up. i think it might be the shape of the shell. i see a lil bubble inside it. when its upside down the air moves to the part of the shell most up. that turns the snail... im not sure though.

My yellow apple snail regularly slides up to a high point in the tank and then "jumps" - gliding down to the bottom, foot down, for a perfect landing.

When he's not busy attacking my other snails, that is.

I tried this out at WM today krap, and it didn't work. Perhaps it has something to do with the water? Definitley interesting though. The snails I experimented with are mystery snails, dunno if that makes a difference or not?

I'm still baffled, haha.

You all are too funny! :wink:

PS. I wonder about my SW snails....hmmm.......I'll be back in a minute! :?:

You all are too funny!

Thanks Rehv! You do have to admit, it's a curious question as to why some do and some don't. I dunno.

Let us know how your SW snails do. I've tried it with some Turbo Snails in my friend's tank, landed sheel side down...so go figure...

Back
Top Bottom