I get my 60 gallon tomorrow!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khalix

Aquarium Advice Freak
And I have no idea what I'm going to do yet! I'm not going to be adding anything for a while.. want to get my substrate picked, need to buy a bigger heater, already bought my ac 110 and will be running a seeded ac 50 on it for a while.. wanted to go for a canister but money limitations impeded that for now. I'm also not 100% on what the lighting situation is yet, but will find out tomorrow. Couldn't pass up on the deal despite it. :)

Substrate will be a mixture. I'm going to do something I saw elsewhere and have a sand bed(black) in the front for the cory cats.. or should I just say screw it and go all sand? Torn on this one. I've heard it can be hard to keep the bottom clean.

I kind of had things planned in my head as far as what I'd like to do, but I am completely up in the air about what to actually stock with. My main thing will be to get my neons and other assorted little schooling types moved from 10s and 20. I mainly just need to make up my mind about which "centerpiece" fish to get or if I just go for something where no one stands out more than everyone else but still stand out regardless. I just want happy and comfortable fish.

So far the fish that I really like but need to read up on more and find suppliers are(though I have nooo intention of mixing all these, don't worry!):

German rams
Bolivian rams
Angelfish(local stores here have very limited angel selections)
killifish
Boesemani Rainbows
American flagfish
Apistogramma

I'll throw up pictures as soon as things start to happen. :D I am very excited. I feel like such a dork!

Having issues finding them locally. Going to call around to the places an hour or so away that have good reputations to see if they actually have them in the store or perhaps go about ordering them. I like the blue and the gold. Not so keen on the electric.

Got my heater today and brought the tank home. Got some seachem plant substrate and some tahitian black sand for the front bank. It's so sparkly. Tank's going to take forever to clear though! :cool:

I've never needed a heater bigger than a 100 watt because my goldfish don't have one in the 50 gallon... got a 300 today and when I plugged it in it was apparently already switched on.. didn't think much of this till I realized they are like freakin' curling irons! It got hot quick! Nearly dropped it, ouch! :rolleyes:

Really about time to invest in a python now. Filling was quite fun with buckets!

german rams would be nice.

img_1184822_0_18cfef4d7a7bca4d4ea4e6db4b5fce84.jpg

cool

Nice rams and angels are beautiful here are some pics of my 2 German rams (still little) that i got and 2 angel's
img_1184834_0_22d1c4adb98e9fa085e029b27e9c1b54.jpg

img_1184834_1_46f2a292931160db3fd76f3cc51a2ae4.jpg

img_1184834_2_eb65a3902e756692108f10876c505701.jpg

img_1184834_3_254328bc4924b56f254fe10bc3dbde93.jpg

img_1184834_4_c2bc576ee2c42ba2954682e87b05698f.jpg

img_1184834_5_f33cef59eb8f38c859cfe75b588f9923.jpg

img_1184834_6_a860580335129954722aa8f316d29f3d.jpg

Very pretty fish, Vic!

Rams and angelfish go well together? I was hesitant to do two different types but I am in love with both.

Did you order the rams or are you able to get them locally?

Yes they do well together all my fish are doing well together I have 2 angels 2 rams 2 kribensis's 6 tetras 2 guppies 2 dwarf gourmi's 2 endler's 2 cory's 4 self replicating crayfish 10 red cherry shrimp and a Mollie/platy (don't know which).
Just a note though with angels if you get endlers or tetras make sure there fully grown...lets just say that i originally had 10 tetras and 4 were baby's and now the babys are gone.....
And yes my LFS had the rams i got them free they had a sale buy 2 cichlids get 2 free so i bought the kribensis's and got the rams free :)

Yeah, I'm really rethinking angels even though I really enjoy them. I have had my neons for a long time and I plan to have more. I don't like to get rid of things to get new things. Makes me feel bad and fish or not I get attached! I'm going to work around what I have already. I seem to have great luck with them. I am considering doing the German Rams and maybe 2 Apistogramma Cacatuoides instead.

I was hoping if I had enough little plants and whatnot that the little neons would be safe. Darn you angelfish!

Nice deal! I will have to hope I can be so lucky!

Yes they do well together all my fish are doing well together I have 2 angels 2 rams 2 kribensis's 6 tetras 2 guppies 2 dwarf gourmi's 2 endler's 2 cory's 4 self replicating crayfish 10 red cherry shrimp and a Mollie/platy (don't know which).
Just a note though with angels if you get endlers or tetras make sure there fully grown...lets just say that i originally had 10 tetras and 4 were baby's and now the babys are gone.....
And yes my LFS had the rams i got them free they had a sale buy 2 cichlids get 2 free so i bought the kribensis's and got the rams free :)

Are you planning on running another filter in addition to the AquaClear 110? Just asking because I have a 110 and an Aqueon QuietFlow 55 on my 60 gallon, and the water is never that crystal clear...

I will probably eventually. I'm always a big fan of over-filtering. Right now I have a 110 and an ac50 on my 50 gallon goldfish tank. My water is generally pretty pristine. To be fair I do a lot of water changes. The location of the tank has been pretty ideal for me so far. I know you are still having logistics issues with your own. I do need a better light in the tank because the one that came with the hood leaves a god awful yellow hue. It's overdue for a re-haul!

After the horrors of the holidays I'm going to likely cave in and get a second one. This time of year just leaves me sooo broke. :rolleyes:

Yea angels are nice I would say get them I just read a little section about them a tetras it says if you get a big angel and have tetras as long as they don't get hungry they won't eat them... And if you get a small angel let him grow up with tetras and when he gets big he wont eat them guess it's like raising a dog with a cat they have been together so long that they don't fight like they normally would
And Osage who's water being clear are you talking about mine?

Edit: sorry about any typos or weird random words I'm on iPhone so it auto corrects stuff that it doesn't like.

I'd read that too. I planned on getting the smallest angels I could reasonably find. Perhaps it would work. I'd just hate to rehome them if it didn't work out. What do you think is a good number? 2 or more?

Yea angels are nice I would say get them I just read a little section about them a tetras it says if you get a big angel and have tetras as long as they don't get hungry they won't eat them... And if you get a small angel let him grow up with tetras and when he gets big he wont eat them guess it's like raising a dog with a cat they have been together so long that they don't fight like they normally would
And Osage who's water being clear are you talking about mine?

I bought 2 that were a pair if you can get 2 that are a pair then I would get them only but if not I heard about 4 or 5 is good and let them pair off themselves

I will probably eventually. I'm always a big fan of over-filtering. Right now I have a 110 and an ac50 on my 50 gallon goldfish tank. My water is generally pretty pristine. To be fair I do a lot of water changes. The location of the tank has been pretty ideal for me so far. I know you are still having logistics issues with your own. I do need a better light in the tank because the one that came with the hood leaves a god awful yellow hue. It's overdue for a re-haul!

After the horrors of the holidays I'm going to likely cave in and get a second one. This time of year just leaves me sooo broke. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the response; I would think though that with two filters like I'm running the water wouldn't be so far from pristine as I'm experiencing...I suppose I have the equivalent of your filtration that you have on your 50 gallon with my AquaClear 110 and Aqueon QuietFlow 55...

You are having issues, though, and I have all the faith you will get it ironed out. Mine's been running for a long time. It's certainly not always been clear and probably the first 6-8 months was an up and down battle for me. I had kind of gotten so used to cloudiness that I just didn't notice it as much. Once I got a water change regimen that worked for me(it's always different for everyone), it's slowly gotten to the point that there isn't any haziness at all. I think Goldfish like to test our patience sometimes. :)

Thanks for the response; I would think though that with two filters like I'm running the water wouldn't be so far from pristine as I'm experiencing...I suppose I have the equivalent of your filtration that you have on your 50 gallon with my AquaClear 110 and Aqueon QuietFlow 55...

What kind of killifish are you looking to get? Are you going to get full grown ones or eggs? I myself have eggs hatching in a 10gallon along with some that hatched from the batch before growing in there. Here's some pics of one of mine. Sorry if they look blurry i had to zoom in since its small in order to show the color of the fish.

img_1185167_0_e20b1b587d4463d01e4d81c899735db3.jpg

img_1185167_1_c4a85f9169543fc907c05dd4173dee73.jpg

img_1185167_2_34d05767762512fcf8e83820521a6e29.jpg
img_1185167_3_d7657bb12570fc1eb552fa908e9a5309.jpg

img_1185167_4_16a79c668f28ee6526eb8237e4e071a1.jpg

img_1185167_5_7b8d4a8703ff1227ba8a6920b5db6ed8.jpg

Last edited:
What kind of killifish are you looking to get? Are you going to get full grown ones or eggs? I myself have eggs hatching in a 10gallon along with some that hatched from the batch before growing in there. Here's some pics of one of mine. Sorry if they look blurry i had to zoom in since its small in order to show the color of the fish.

Sorry, just got off work and I am exhausted! So if I barely make sense please forgive me. :puppydogeyes:

I was really fond of the golden lyretail panchax.. only place I have even seen killifish for sale is online, so my exposure to them has been fairly limited.. and the ones on liveaquaria are $30! I've only recently discovered the egg thing.. but am worried I'd end up with too many of them and not have room. Where did you get your eggs? How difficult are they to successfully hatch/raise?

Sorry if i miss spelled somethin or it doesnt make sence i typed this all on my iphone
I got my eggs from a guy on eBay called jewelery ablazed he is a real nice guy my first batch I ordered never hatched and he sent me another order free of charge even though I didn't hatch them when I was suppose to. I got 50 eggs for $11 ( I think his prices went up due to the economic now tho) out of the 50 I have about 15 the size and with color like the one above and 4 more with no color yet.... To me thats not that bad since my LFS sells some dull colored ones for $12 a piece when I can raise these and get my money back selling them if I get to many...but I read it's hard to overcrowd these fish since in nature there is hundreds in small water puddles where they are found.
As for difficulty it's real easy tbh all I did was buy a small airstone and pump filled a 10 gallon tank with about 2 inches of water tossed in so
me nano Marino balls (If you would like some when/if you get some I would Be glad to send you a couple) tossed in a few bladder snails to clean the waste (also to breed for my yo yo loaches) and then just tossed on the container with eggs and they hatched FYI don't remove the dirt or move the fish and remove the water from where you hatched them because some hatch later then others I still have some being born even tho most hatched a few weeks ago. He also send some artimia shrimp eggs to hatch for food for them.

Back
Top Bottom