I got a new used tank... Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhillieSniper115

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just got a new used tank and all I know is that it was used previously as a saltwater tank. I don't know wat that means for the filter, and I don't know if I can still use it for freshwater. I might just buy a new filter anyway cas it's old and hasn't been used in a long time. I want to know wat to do about the filter and also about the lights and how to search for cracks and tank maintainance.

Thank you

Look the tank over for visible cracks, if nothing, then set the tank up outside if possible and fill it up to check for leaks. Let it set for a few days, a week if possible to see if anything develops. As far as the filter, not sure, never had saltwater, would like to, but costto much for me.

u can use the tank again as a freshwater tank just make sure to clean it really well with a bleach & water solution and a small scrub brush. Make sure to rinse it out really well when your finished cleaning it. As for the filter I would just get a new one, they are like 40 bucks on Amazon for a good Aquaclear.

Quest84 said:
u can use the tank again as a freshwater tank just make sure to clean it really well with a bleach & water solution and a small scrub brush. Make sure to rinse it out really well when your finished cleaning it. As for the filter I would just get a new one, they are like 40 bucks on Amazon for a good Aquaclear.

Wait use bleach? Wouldnt that harm the fish later on?

Just use a mild solution, like 1 teaspoon per 1 gal, then rinse very well, let set in the sun to air out, wait at least 24 hours before adding anything to the tank, use Prime when adding water, that will remove any chlorine from the water and tank

What kind of filter did it come with and what kind of lights? I've been using my saltwater T5's on my fresh tank with no issues, but my lights aren't the fancy kind with the moonlight etc.

brennae said:
What kind of filter did it come with and what kind of lights? I've been using my saltwater T5's on my fresh tank with no issues, but my lights aren't the fancy kind with the moonlight etc.

Idk it's lik a Pro RS800G and it's a external system. That's all I know and I dont know anything about it so I might just buy a freshwater overhead filter. It might be broken it might not. Also I did some research and I herd that it may be best to buy a new filter.

Steelhawke said:
Just use a mild solution, like 1 teaspoon per 1 gal, then rinse very well, let set in the sun to air out, wait at least 24 hours before adding anything to the tank, use Prime when adding water, that will remove any chlorine from the water and tank

I hears u can also use vinegar too. Is that true?

GhillieSniper115 said:
Ok. So I have to use bleech? And it won't affect the new fish going into the tank?

Bleach is fine and advised. Just follow the instructions earlier in the thread and you're fish will be fine and your tank free of any potential issues.

Cynic said:
Bleach is fine and advised. Just follow the instructions earlier in the thread and you're fish will be fine and your tank free of any potential issues.

Ok thanks. But wait do I have to fill my tank all the way with water or make the solution and then scrub and rinse

Rinse the tank real good with lots of clear water after cleaning. After you fill the tank, make sure you use Prime in there, its a dechlorinater. once you have the tank running for a while and before you add any fish, do another dose of Prime, better to be safe.

Steelhawke said:
Rinse the tank real good with lots of clear water after cleaning. After you fill the tank, make sure you use Prime in there, its a dechlorinater. once you have the tank running for a while and before you add any fish, do another dose of Prime, better to be safe.

No no I mean wen I clean the tank with bleech wat do I do

scrub using a non soaped spunge using the mentioned bleach solution. then rinse out really well using a hose. do this several times. let the tank dry. rinse it out again. then put it on a flat surface ( that can support the weight ) and fill all of the way. let it sit for 3-7 days. inspect for leaks every day by running your finger along all the exterior joints. If it holds water empty the tank. then rinse one last time. wipe down with paper towels. put on stand. put substate, then decor, then fill completely, then turn on all air pumps, heaters and filters. Hope this helps!! Good Luck!!

Back
Top Bottom