I GOT MY TANK I GOT MY TANK! YAAAAAAAAAY!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
um.. aren't you going to cycle your new tank before throwing the fish in it?? you sould put your new filter on you 10 gallon tank and wait about a week or two to set it up, and then slowly start accimilating hte fish over to the new tank.. about 2/week. to let the bacteria catch up with the bioload.. Also meticulous water testing is a must when doing something like that

you didnt even look at them 8O how is that possible. i cant help myself when i go into a fish store. i have the restraint to not buy them but no look at them that is a whole differnt story. kudos to you

Well...i have that nitrite one... but I don't have any "fishless cycle" equipment and.....I'm really impatient O_O

Puriti said:
...... I have no water testing kits...soooooo......

sooooo.. you really still need to cycle the tank, or seed the filter or SOMETHING before adding hte fish, because if you just throw them in there you will just have more deaths. You could cycle it with your zebra danios.. they are pretty hardy, but you will still need to at least take the water to the fish store for them to test it so you know when the cycle is done.

I still think you should seed your filter for at least a week first on your 10 gallon, it will really give your cycle a jump start and lower the mortality rate for your fish.

....I don't think it'll fit in my 10 gal with the lid on o.o....

and I've done a 100% water change with my fish at least 2 times before and nothing died...infact I used to do 100% water changes all the time in the beginning for at least 2 months .____.

Puriti said:
Well...i have that nitrite one... but I don't have any "fishless cycle" equipment and.....I'm really impatient O_O

I repeat.. put your NEW filter on your OLD 10 gallon tank.. this will get it jump started... If you get impaitient and just throw the fish in there you will have a mess and more deaths. If you just wait a week, go ahead and set up your aquarium with the water, gravel. decor, etc... but put your new filter on the old tank and wait a week before transferring fish over. Then you can put your seeded filter on the new tank and go ahead and probably upt 4-5 fish in the new tank. Then ever week switch a few more over until you have it stocked how you like!!!! I know you've had a lot of problems with deaths in the 10 gallon from overcrowding, but putting them in an uncycled tank is almost just as bad.

Puriti said:
....I don't think it'll fit in my 10 gal with the lid on o.o....

and I've done a 100% water change with my fish at least 2 times before and nothing died...infact I used to do 100% water changes all the time in the beginning for at least 2 months .____.

100% water changes don't take out the bacteria. the bacteria grows on the gravel and your filter media. If your new filter won't fit on the 10 gallon, then take some of the media out of your old filter (do you need to change a cartrage maybe) and put it in your new filter, even if it doesn't fit. Then at least you will have some nitrifying bacteria to help take care of the ammonia. The gravel from a seeded tank HELPs but the filter media is really the best.

No I know, but I washed EVERYTHING when I did it.

My filter for my 10 gal has a little plastic thing for the "filter media" can't really change that...

Back
Top Bottom