I Got Permission to Get Another Tank! What Do I Do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok so lets mark off shellies for the time being. What are some good suggestions for a 20 long?

i have a couple dwarf cichlids and some small schooling fish in my 20 long and it looks great

German blue ram or bolivian ram. Personally I love my Bolivian ram. Some would suggest at least 30 gallons but I think a 20 long would be alright for one or two.

I like German Blues. Let me do this: I will start "building" this thread here in writing with 2 different setups.
1st: The Multi. Shellies and Julidochromis transcriptus (Thoughts on how many would be appropriate?)

2nd: 2 German Blues, a school of Glowlight Tetras, the bb Cats, and some ottos.

German blues need a long established tank to thrive, so if you try them, add them last. I briefer Bolivians, much hardier and great personalities, they kinda look like dwarf geophagus to me hahaha but I guess they are in the mikrogeophagus genus haha "tiny earth eater"

GodFan said:
Ok so lets mark off shellies for the time being. What are some good suggestions for a 20 long?

Look into the following (small schooling fish)
Congo tetra
Rummynose tetra
Black skirt tetra
Serpae tetra
Blue tetra
Endlers
Neon or cardinal tetra
And maybe as a centerpiece a marble angel?? Or little black and white commet goldfish

Ps please don't freek bout goldfish needing a fifty five gallon tank I had a fancy goldfish in a twenty gallon two foot long for two years and had a certain toddler not taken the innocent actions he did while I was out of the room "squeezo" would still be alive today (he lived a happy life was always colorful and morbidly obeise ROTFL

TenaciousTriggerFish said:
Look into the following (small schooling fish)
Congo tetra
Rummynose tetra
Black skirt tetra
Serpae tetra
Blue tetra
Endlers
Neon or cardinal tetra
And maybe as a centerpiece a marble angel?? Or little black and white commet goldfish

Ps please don't freek bout goldfish needing a fifty five gallon tank I had a fancy goldfish in a twenty gallon two foot long for two years and had a certain toddler not taken the innocent actions he did while I was out of the room "squeezo" would still be alive today (he lived a happy life was Tropicals colorful and morbidly obeise ROTFL

Comets need 55 gallons for one and different conditions than Tropicals for another
Do not buy a comet

emerald76 said:
Comets need 55 gallons for one and different conditions than Tropicals for another
Do not buy a comet

When full grown yes they would but you could keep one in there fir prob two years before having to switch it out

I dont like Goldfish anyway so lets scratch that. What is a really super unique entertaining fish?

I just got a bloodred parrot cichlid for my 55 gallon, My husband and I are both getting tons of entertainment from this guy. He has burrowed out under a terracotta pot and it is funny because I have malaysian trumpet snails and he will scoop them up in his mouth and spit them out of his "home". There are a lot of trumpet snails so its pretty funny trying to watch him keep his little burrow clean. He also will remove them off of the top of the terracotta pot if they go up there. So far very entertaining.

EDIT- sorry i think the minimum tank size for this fish is 30 gallons i think you said you are getting a 20 gallon right?

Yea 20 gallons. What about the shellies and Julidochromis transcriptus? How would that work and are they entertaining?

My parents agreed to let me get a 20 gallon (give or take a few gallons) to replace my 5 gallon! Now I gotta decide what I want to do!
Im kinda stuck. I considered getting some shell dwelling cichlids but......... with a 20 long I could do alot! I am really stuck. I could do the shellies, or a community tank......
I just dont know! Tell me what you all think. The shellies are gourgeous but I dont know that I would like them long run. Also I already have a planted tank so I thought about doing something different like rocks. I have a cool sand and shell substrate I can use too...
A 20 tall just doesnt seem to have the footprint I want. I just dont know If I really want the shellies. I also have some catfish that need to get out of my nano tank. They ate all my shrimp and are to big.... Community tank....

Alright thoughts and opinions are welcome at this point!
Thanks and God bless!

P.S. Can I keep amphibians like geckos and fire bellied toads in a tank with fish?

P.P.S. I am also considering Dwarf Puffer fish. Could they coexist with a few 3 inch catfish?

Get some cichlids and maybe a little catfish or pleco. They will stay out of the way.

imtcurveball said:
Get some cichlids and maybe a little catfish or pleco. They will stay out of the way.

No pleco belongs in a 20 gallon honestly. And "cichlid" is a disgustingly broad word. Same with "catfish".

ashleynicole said:
what's wrong with a bristelnose pleco in a 20 gallon? I think the albino varieties stay smaller as well.

With plecos, it's not about size, but bio load. They are super super messy!

I am thinking about getting 2 german blue rams, 6 ghost catfish, another school of some kind, and of course my 3 bumble bee cats! My question is would a 27 gallon cube be good for these guys?

With plecos, it's not about size, but bio load. They are super super messy!

of course yes, they do have a large bioload, you would have to consider this with other stock and water change schedule. I have live plants in all my tanks, I have a hard time keeping nitrates high enough for the plants, lol, so I guess I don't think about the bioload as much.

What about my stocking plan? lol I was thinking a pair of German blues, 6 glass cats, 3 bb cats, 3 ottos, and 1 other school (like a tetra or danio) in a 27 gallon cube?

Back
Top Bottom