I Got Permission to Get Another Tank! What Do I Do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure about the glass cats, and it also depends on what other tetra you chose, but I'd say it sounds good

Ok well I will keep thinking about it. I like the idea of german blues, bb cats, but what else? I want something unique and entertaining...

Not a bad idea actually. I think they are pretty. Could I do dwarf rainbows, a pair of blue rams, 3 bb gobies, and a few hillstream loaches?

Well that might be a good thing for me to consider then. How big do the rainbows get?

GodFan said:
Not a bad idea actually. I think they are pretty. Could I do dwarf rainbows, a pair of blue rams, 3 bb gobies, and a few hillstream loaches?

Hillstream loaches need cooler water around 72 degrees don't they? Most tropical fish thrive around 76.

I like that stock list, I would consider kuhli loaches instead of the hillstream though.

Do you mean your bumblebee cats? Don't bb gobies need brackish?

Threadfin rainbows would be perfect

ashleynicole said:
Hillstream loaches need cooler water around 72 degrees don't they? Most tropical fish thrive around 76.

I like that stock list, I would consider kuhli loaches instead of the hillstream though.

Do you mean your bumblebee cats? Don't bb gobies need brackish?

Threadfin rainbows would be perfect

There are both fresh and brackish water bumblebee gobies, but many only tend to know about the brackish one :) and I do believe the OP meant bumblebee cats lol

Hmmm.... interesting. I like the hillstream loaches because they are unique. I dont think the rainbows would like the cube tank.
BTW yes they are the bumble bee cats. I want interesting and unique fish..

Hillstream loaches are river fish and need temps of about 68-72 degrees and very fast moving highly oxygenated water as they have a high oxygen demand. They are all wild caught and aren't bred in captivity as far as I know. This makes them less suitable for tropical tanks. I had one once in my tank that I kept the temp around 76 and it did alright but only lived about 6 months.

Hmmm...... well sombody get this thought train moving again and suggest some really unique and/or interesting fish!

African bush fish :) I feed mine crickets, grasshoppers, anything that I find that looks like it will be a good show. I'd say either them or get some blue crayfish as many as fits the tank and fill the bottom half of the tank with a huge rock landscape that would be amazing!!!

Hillstream loaches can be kept in water up to 75 degrees as long as their oxygen needs are met. They need a LOT of oxygen either via a lot of live plants with CO2 or via good flow from powerheads/filters plus a bubble wall. Very cool fish though they can be reclusive. Stick to the reticulated hillstream loaches if you go with them, as they're the most adaptable. Make sure the tank is well established first so they don't starve from lack of micro-organisms that live in algae.

How big does the african bush fish get? Thats the same as the spotted leaf fish correct? I was thinking.... Maybe 1 of those with the bb cats, african butterflies, and some wasp fish? Is that possible? And what size and shape tank (close to 20 gallons)?

*EDIT* I did some research and everything says 6 inches for the bush fish. Is that too big for a 20-25? I really really like the idea of that one since it is a predator. I would feed it livebearer fry! I like the fact that it stalks its prey. I also want something that stays at the surface ALWAYS (hatchet fish, african butterly, etc). And I would like it to be compatible with the bb cats if possible. Alright brainstorm everyone!

Ok I got approved for a 26 bow so yall tell me if the above (post 56) ideas will work!

What is another interesting fish. Particularly one that is predatory :)

Predatory fish generally are too large to fit in a 20 gallon, unless you count snail eaters like puffers or loaches... They also tend to be expensive to feed (either have to buy feeders or have a large tank dedicated to breeding their food) and don't tend to do well with your usual community tank.

Back
Top Bottom