I got some new fishies....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freshwatergal

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, I went to the lfs today and they had German Blue Rams, so I bought 3 of em to go in my 46 gal tank. So far so good...although my female betta seems to be chasing them around, so I might have to find someplace new for her or just see how it goes overnight.

I also found some dwarf puffers! Everyone else on here has puffer-itus, so I thought why not me. I decided to get these instead of the Elephant Nose for now. They are lil buggers. I originally got 7, but one got stuck in the net when I took them out and I didn't notice it until hours later, so now I only have 6. I have them in my 20 high with three cory cats. Do you think these will get along? So far it doesn't look like they mind each other, I have been watching them closely. The lil guys are very inquizative, swimming up to the front of the tank whenever I walk by. I just couldn't pass them up when I saw em. I hope to have some pics up real soon. :D

Jealous! My PetSmart is the only one that doesn't have dwarf puffers! Ugh! Yes, please post pictures as soon as you are able... and have fun watching your new fish! :D

Ooo good luck with the blues freshwatergal! I got 2 blues and 3 Bolivian rams the other day; one blue is already dead :( Keep a REAL close eye on em; if there are any signs of disease DON'T hesitate to treat!

Pretty lil babies aren't they :) And brazen!

Watch those puffers with the cories... they'll likely chew up their fins!

Congrats on the new fishies... especially the rams. :) Watch them closely as Alli said. It sure seems hard to find healthy German rams.

The rams are so pretty...and lil...I'm excited to see em grow. I know Alli was talking about how it is hard to sex these fish, but Im hoping that I got one male and two females. If I have success with these, maybe I will go and get some more.

I had two dwarf puffers about a year ago. They were the kings of my 55 gal. They were the most territorial fish I have ever seen. They would swim into my tetras' mouthes if they wouldn't move. Must taste bad, because they never got eaten. Craziest little fish I have ever seen. 0X

OK...now a new questions...If I just go the lfs and buy two snails, put them in a seperate source of water...they should bread so I have lil snails for my puffers to eat? :?:

One more question...is there something special that I need to feed the Rams? They seem shy, and I want to make sure they get something to eat. Thanks.

hi fwg,
well, two snails are not going to breed fast enough and have enough little snails for your 6 puffers.... rather try to get any snail alive from all of your friends' aquariums, put them in the separate tank, feed flakes, and hope for a population explosion.... the snails have to grow a bit too, before you can really give them to the puffies, that gives you a bit of a delay! remember that snails are the MAIN food of puffers cause of their teeth. so for 6, you'll be looking at a lot of snails per day.....

good luck
silvia

Well, my puffers are doing AWESOME! My rams on the other hand...not so great. So far I have lost one, and a second one looks like it won't make it through the night. I feel bad...these are such great looking fish, they would be a great addition to my tank. I hate to give up on these guys so soon. Any suggestions?

Oh, it's not the taste of the FW puffers... I think the other fish (if like the neons, they're from SA, and possibly otherwise), probably recognize the warning yellow color and black spots. Puffers are generally poisonous. They carry one of nature's most powerful neurotoxins-tetradotoxin-in their skin to discourage others from eating them. :wink:

I renew the cory discomfort. You can try it, but I'm almost sure you'll find them with chewed fins. I haven't seen this, so I can't say for sure, but *every* source I've ever read strenuously states this. I've had success so far with Otos (Otocinclus catfish), and have seen them recommended in the past.

Well, after reading your first post on the cory's I took them out of the tank right away, didn't want to risk it. I've been feeding them frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp, and they love em both. I got them some baby snails last night, and so far don't notice if there are any missing or not, they blend in too well with the rocks I have in the tanks LOL. Thanks again for everyones help and advice, I hope to go to the lfs again today and find some more caves for them to hide in, and possibly get some more of the lil guys. 8)

Back
Top Bottom