I hate these tags fix this please!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bullnugget

Aquarium Advice Activist
Sorry for the title, its getting very annoying trying to get a title that doesnt work because the number of tags exceeds by 5 when there is only 6 words in the title!!!!!!

I know, I know there's a million threads.....How can I go about doing this, going from gravel to sand. Which sand is the best and easiest? I hear pool filter sand is usually much cleaner. I want to do a simple change. With my first tank being fully stocked, I find it looks just like that, a beginner first tank. It doesn't look terrible but I find myself wanting something much nicer. So first thing to do is change out the rocks for sand. I can temporarily put the fish into another aquarium that is empty as of right now...I am also wanting to put in some live plants so the sand will make it much easier. Will this put my tank through another cycle? I am also ridding the thank of all fake decor for rocks and driftwood. My idea is to get something like this tank, with a few small plant and a large driftwood piece on the empty side.....This tank uses gravel but I think the sand will look much nicer.
rd_img_7068.jpg

100% agree. Cannot create a good topic title.

Pool filter sand works great. I am using Black diamond blasting sand in my 55g planted tank and it's working amazingly well although it restricts my choice in fish a little bit. The switch also shouldn't really cause you to go through a cycle.

If you're doing plants, switching the substrate is the easy part. The difficult part is in choosing the plants. Assuming you have standard hood lighting you might want to look at upgrading the light fixture. The standard light is a low powered light for your tank and will restrict your options for plants. However, if you upgrade the light in your tank it raises problems with needing ferts and a source of carbon for the tank. There's a lot of research involved in keeping a planted tank healthy.

Sorry for the title, its getting very annoying trying to get a title that doesnt work because the number of tags exceeds by 5 when there is only 6 words in the title!!!!!!

I know, I know there's a million threads.....How can I go about doing this, going from gravel to sand. Which sand is the best and easiest? I hear pool filter sand is usually much cleaner. I want to do a simple change. With my first tank being fully stocked, I find it looks just like that, a beginner first tank. It doesn't look terrible but I find myself wanting something much nicer. So first thing to do is change out the rocks for sand. I can temporarily put the fish into another aquarium that is empty as of right now...I am also wanting to put in some live plants so the sand will make it much easier. Will this put my tank through another cycle? I am also ridding the thank of all fake decor for rocks and driftwood. My idea is to get something like this tank, with a few small plant and a large driftwood piece on the empty side.....This tank uses gravel but I think the sand will look much nicer.

Wow! Beautiful tank! (y)

Pool filter sand works great. I am using Black diamond blasting sand in my 55g planted tank and it's working amazingly well although it restricts my choice in fish a little bit. The switch also shouldn't really cause you to go through a cycle.

If you're doing plants, switching the substrate is the easy part. The difficult part is in choosing the plants. Assuming you have standard hood lighting you might want to look at upgrading the light fixture. The standard light is a low powered light for your tank and will restrict your options for plants. However, if you upgrade the light in your tank it raises problems with needing ferts and a source of carbon for the tank. There's a lot of research involved in keeping a planted tank healthy.

I would plan on getting an LED strip and putting all glass top on my tank. Also, the plants in the picture are Java ferns and they look nice enough for me, I wont be going with a full out planted tank so I didn't think Co2 and ferts would be all that necessary?

Ahh okay, if you're sticking with what you have then none of that extra stuff will be necessary.

Back
Top Bottom