I have a few questions for anyone willing to look...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mommaof4boys

Aquarium Advice Freak
I planted some live plants in my aquarium, now I have 4 snails! They have cleared up almost all of the diatoms/brown algae that was all over the tank and the water is crystal clear... I read that snails multiply like rabbits, what should I do about this? I like how the snails help with algae, but don't want them taking over.. Is there another alternative? The snails are in a 10 but I would like to know for my other tanks as well!

I have also been wondering about shrimp! Are they supposed to clean the tank as well? Do they multiply like snails? I don't want a mass of shrimp either! :)

I recently purchased a 55 gallon and I have read and seen pictures of someone using an "egg .... Something, like egg rack or something" what is that? Is that for the gas bubbles? I have read something about gas getting trapped in substrate if not moved around enough!?

Do I have to have something for circulation in my tanks? I have my filter, and that stream of water gives off quite a bit of flow, but am I supposed to have more?

I think that is all for now, thank you in advance!

Oh, one more thing.. Its about my water... My levels have been constant since the very beginning... pH 8.2, amm .25, nitrites 0, nitrates between 0-5.0... question is... If there is ammonia in my water of .25 or higher how am I supposed to lower that in my tank?
Also, the pH.. my tap runs a high pH, I've posted my tap water results in a different post, I don't remember exactly what it was, but, how do I lower that and do I need to?

Rinse all plants very well before putting in your aquarium to help avoid snails/eggs. One time I thought I rinsed well and I ended up with little leeches. Some fish will eat the snails, or you can give them away/ sell them. That's worked for me in the past.

Did you do a partial water change to try to lower the amonia?

I planted some live plants in my aquarium, now I have 4 snails! They have cleared up almost all of the diatoms/brown algae that was all over the tank and the water is crystal clear... I read that snails multiply like rabbits, what should I do about this? I like how the snails help with algae, but don't want them taking over.. Is there another alternative? The snails are in a 10 but I would like to know for my other tanks as well!

I have also been wondering about shrimp! Are they supposed to clean the tank as well? Do they multiply like snails? I don't want a mass of shrimp either! :)

I recently purchased a 55 gallon and I have read and seen pictures of someone using an "egg .... Something, like egg rack or something" what is that? Is that for the gas bubbles? I have read something about gas getting trapped in substrate if not moved around enough!?

Do I have to have something for circulation in my tanks? I have my filter, and that stream of water gives off quite a bit of flow, but am I supposed to have more?

A - Can you confirm what kind of snails you're dealing with? Not every snail has the same breeding rate.

B - Can't help you with the Shrimp question

C - No idea what this 'egg' is...

D - Gas in the substrate is generally only a problem for tanks with deep sand substrates

E - Circulation preference tends to be on a fish by fish basis. Some like strong currents others prefer still water.

Oh, one more thing.. Its about my water... My levels have been constant since the very beginning... pH 8.2, amm .25, nitrites 0, nitrates between 0-5.0... question is... If there is ammonia in my water of .25 or higher how am I supposed to lower that in my tank?
Also, the pH.. my tap runs a high pH, I've posted my tap water results in a different post, I don't remember exactly what it was, but, how do I lower that and do I need to?

F - A PH of 8.2 isn't dangerously high for most fish, maintaining a stable PH is much more important to your fishes livelihood

G - In terms of ammonia in your tap water (Sounds unusual :confused:) I would hope/assume that using a water conditioner that contains ammonia detoxifier (such as Prime) should prevent ammonia burn for your fish.

All I can help with sorry :fish2:

As far as the snails go, you can do what my roommate used to do in college... Invite guests over and give them a few drinks... But first throw a bunch of the snails in the toilet. Might not solve anything, but it's a good conversation starter....

"You need to clean house, there's snails growing in your toilet."

Sounds like you may have nerite snails... I believe they eat diatoms... I'd say keep them.

Shrimp are great! Fun to watch, some are always on the move... They're scavengers and some are algae eaters. Ghost, Amano and cherry shrimp stay small. Not sure on shrimp breeding.

If your tap probably has chloramines which is where the ammo's coming from. No worries.. Use a good conditioner like seachem prime... It'll detoxify ammonia for up to 24hrs .. Enough time for the BB to consume. As for the tap pH... Test a cup of tap after its sat for 24hrs, That'll give you a better idea of your taps true pH.

Egg crate are light diffusers you can purchase at home depot... You generally use it if you plan on adding heavy rock so they don't rest their weight directly on the bottom glass.

brennae said:
Rinse all plants very well before putting in your aquarium to help avoid snails/eggs. One time I thought I rinsed well and I ended up with little leeches. Some fish will eat the snails, or you can give them away/ sell them. That's worked for me in the past.

Did you do a partial water change to try to lower the amonia?

I actually rinsed the plants and went over them picking off anything that was on the plant! Lol still ended up with snails!

I done a partial water change and tested next day, will test again tomorrow but I'm sure its still at .25, it always is?

Cynic said:
A - Can you confirm what kind of snails you're dealing with? Not every snail has the same breeding rate.

B - Can't help you with the Shrimp question

C - No idea what this 'egg' is...

D - Gas in the substrate is generally only a problem for tanks with deep sand substrates

E - Circulation preference tends to be on a fish by fish basis. Some like strong currents others prefer still water.

F - A PH of 8.2 isn't dangerously high for most fish, maintaining a stable PH is much more important to your fishes livelihood

G - In terms of ammonia in your tap water (Sounds unusual :confused:) I would hope/assume that using a water conditioner that contains ammonia detoxifier (such as Prime) should prevent ammonia burn for your fish.

All I can help with sorry :fish2:

Thank you, I actually do use prime, still have the same readings.. :-/ hence the confusion!

friscuba said:
As far as the snails go, you can do what my roommate used to do in college... Invite guests over and give them a few drinks... But first throw a bunch of the snails in the toilet. Might not solve anything, but it's a good conversation starter....

"You need to clean house, there's snails growing in your toilet."

Ha ha ha lol Hilarious! :)

jcolon said:
Sounds like you may have nerite snails... I believe they eat diatoms... I'd say keep them.

Shrimp are great! Fun to watch, some are always on the move... They're scavengers and some are algae eaters. Ghost, Amano and cherry shrimp stay small. Not sure on shrimp breeding.

If your tap probably has chloramines which is where the ammo's coming from. No worries.. Use a good conditioner like seachem prime... It'll detoxify ammonia for up to 24hrs .. Enough time for the BB to consume. As for the tap pH... Test a cup of tap after its sat for 24hrs, That'll give you a better idea of your taps true pH.

Egg crate are light diffusers you can purchase at home depot... You generally use it if you plan on adding heavy rock so they don't rest their weight directly on the bottom glass.

I really am amazed at what they have done to the tank, I just don't want 20 of them! Lol

I was thinking about some ghost shrimp, but I have seen a lot about cherry shrimp... hmmm

I actually do use Prime, which is partly why I'm wondering why I still have a reading of .25! Is my BB not working? :-/ I have tested a cup of water before... Its in another post I have had.. I don't remember the results but I do know that every single time I test, no matter how many water changes, lol, pH is 8.2 and amm .25....

Egg crate, well, I guess I better figure out if I'm doing a cichlid tank or not before I fill it up with sand! :)

Thank you for your responses!

The test could be faulty, I've heard of some people's tests reading a slight tinge of green no matter what they did. Prime isn't going to affect the testing since it is a binder, it doesn't actually remove the ammonia.

jetajockey said:
The test could be faulty, I've heard of some people's tests reading a slight tinge of green no matter what they did. Prime isn't going to affect the testing since it is a binder, it doesn't actually remove the ammonia.

Maybe it is faulty? I dunno... But my fish seem happy, so I'm hoping it isn't a big deal! Hoping it is the test! Lol

I really am amazed at what they have done to the tank, I just don't want 20 of them! Lol

I was thinking about some ghost shrimp, but I have seen a lot about cherry shrimp... hmmm

I actually do use Prime, which is partly why I'm wondering why I still have a reading of .25! Is my BB not working? :-/ I have tested a cup of water before... Its in another post I have had.. I don't remember the results but I do know that every single time I test, no matter how many water changes, lol, pH is 8.2 and amm .25....

Egg crate, well, I guess I better figure out if I'm doing a cichlid tank or not before I fill it up with sand! :)

Thank you for your responses!

It's important to note that Prime doesn't remove ammonia it just detoxifies it, this can be an issue as it's hard to know if you're fish are not enjoying themselves but if you're using the right dose I'd be reasonably confident the ammonia reading is just a signal of detoxified ammonia.

Cynic said:
It's important to note that Prime doesn't remove ammonia it just detoxifies it, this can be an issue as it's hard to know if you're fish are not enjoying themselves but if you're using the right dose I'd be reasonably confident the ammonia reading is just a signal of detoxified ammonia.

My fish seem pretty happy! I'm going the reading is harmless detoxified ammonia! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom