I have a hitchhiker!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corrado33

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I was testing the water in my tank today, and I saw a mini snail along the top of the water on the glass! I tried to take a pic... of course it's horrible, but the snail is about 1/4 inch long (maybe a bit shorter). I couldn't see what the shell looked like cause it was RIGHT under my tank rim. Any ideas? Then he went above the water, which made me think I had bad water conditions, but then everything was perfect, aside from low nitrates.

Pic... I apologize for the HORRIBLE pic, but my phone focused on the plant instead of the snail... Yes I know I have algae, don't remind me.
0709001408.jpg

Neat, if you don't want it now is the time to remove it before it lays eggs. What kind of plant is in your picture.? That looks very nice too.

The thing is, I'm not overfeeding, I sit there and feed little by little and watch my fish eat every piece. Maybe one or two pieces tiny pieces get pushed to the bottom (cause I don't turn off my filter). I'd remove him if I could find him... He has since disappeared...

It's anarcharis/whatever else it's called. Grows like a weed, I love it. I tried to propagate one by cutting off all of the leaves except the top inch, the planting it horizontally, however, the inch left was basically under a rock overhang, and I figured it was going to die. I was wrong, it grew (basically out from under a rock overhang), and is now 2 inches tall. Crazy stuff.

I thought you could just cut anacharis and plant the cuttings. But anyways, it's a pond snail. I personally hate them. (plant eating monsters in my experience).

I thought you could just cut anacharis and plant the cuttings. But anyways, it's a pond snail. I personally hate them. (plant eating monsters in my experience).

Great... :mad: Now I get to assume the snail hunter persona... Heeeerrrreeeee snaily snaily snaily. Want some lettuce???

Pond snail. They are a pain lol. Assassin snails work or snail traps, there is another thread around here somewhere with info on that

Is this guy old enough to start laying eggs? Should I be worried about it at this current moment?

Squish them before they even get a chance! Lol seriously though I would get rid of them as soon as you see them. I did and they are still all over.

I have noticed more snails come out when it's dark in my tanks... I don't know it if they are more nocturnal or what, and Ido see them out at all times of the day, but more of them come out at night. You can put an algae wafer in there or a shrimp pellet- wait a little while and the snail(s) will be all over it.

Back
Top Bottom