I have a molly problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glene20

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a few new mollys. 2 male and 6 female. But 1 of the males keeps harrasing just the one female. And its non stop. Any ideas or will the male have to be seperated? Female is lookin a bit stressed at this point

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm curious the answer, but I assumed it was mating behavior of some sort. I caught some wild (turned out to be Sailfin Mollies) and the (always pregnant) female has one of the mails continually swimming around its tail. Still not sure exactly what its doing, but it is indeed almost non-stop except an occasional break for feeding.

And I have some baby mollies now in the community tank, if they don't turn into lunch i guess they'll be company soon.

I didn't do any research before getting these (they were an accident while collecting plants, I expected them to become lunch, but they didn't). So I'm curious what others say also.

I know mollys breed like crazy. But i have more females in the tank. But the male is only after the one female and not bothering with the others. I have a few fry in my tank aswell. Managed to seperate 7 of them into a breeder net

the male pretty much claimed that female for his own. it happens sometimes with other livebearers as well.

I'm curious the answer, but I assumed it was mating behavior of some sort. I caught some wild (turned out to be Sailfin Mollies) and the (always pregnant) female has one of the mails continually swimming around its tail. Still not sure exactly what its doing, but it is indeed almost non-stop except an occasional break for feeding.

And I have some baby mollies now in the community tank, if they don't turn into lunch i guess they'll be company soon.

I didn't do any research before getting these (they were an accident while collecting plants, I expected them to become lunch, but they didn't). So I'm curious what others say also.

Where did you catch them?

Fishobsessed7

I have one female molly that is the bully of my tank. She's constantly chasing my sunburst platy around the tank and nips at any fish that comes near her when it's feeding time. She's a huge jerk and I still don't know what to do with her.

I think mollies can just be this way.. Some are just big bullies.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your Molly

I bought a few new mollys. 2 male and 6 female. But 1 of the males keeps harrasing just the one female. And its non stop. Any ideas or will the male have to be seperated? Female is lookin a bit stressed at this point

Hello Glen...

You need some floating plants in the tank. If a Livebearer doesn't have a lot of plant growth on the surface, they won't feel comfortable. Males are constantly trying to mate and the females must have a thick growth of plants on the surface to hide.

I keep Guppies, Swordtails and Platys and the males are constantly chasing the females. I keep a thick growth of Hornwort and Anacharis floating. The females and new fry spend a lot time in the mess of plants and avoid the males.

These floating plants cost next to nothing and are available at most pet stores thate sell fish. Just get some individual stems of either of these plants and drop them into the tank. They grow fast floating close to the light and the fertilizers the fish produce are enough to keep them growing. You'll need to trim them regularly or any plants below will eventually get little or no light.

B

Thanks for the replies. I really like the idea if the floating plants. I never had real plants cause im not sure how to keep them alive and what they require in the aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom