Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

I Have BABIES!

Holy Cow! I have about 10 baby cherry barbs!

Egg layers!

How did that happen...?? I suspected they would always EAT the eggs?? If not them, the molly or the snail would have. Hmmmm...

I came down the stairs this afternoon prepared to do a water change and to my surprise a BUNCH of tiny little fish! Stunning!

I caught all that I could find and put them in to a breeder's net/tank - like I said - about 10.

What are the chances of them surviving? Is there anything special I should do to assist? What to do?? I don't know...

Janelle

Old 12-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpgop
Holy Cow! I have about 10 baby cherry barbs!

Egg layers!

How did that happen...?? I suspected they would always EAT the eggs?? If not them, the molly or the snail would have. Hmmmm...

I came down the stairs this afternoon prepared to do a water change and to my surprise a BUNCH of tiny little fish! Stunning!

I caught all that I could find and put them in to a breeder's net/tank - like I said - about 10.

What are the chances of them surviving? Is there anything special I should do to assist? What to do?? I don't know...

Janelle
Hi, how long have you had the Molly? Is it a female by any chance?

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

No - it's a sailfin silver male molly and he's a real jerk. He's finally toned down a bit sharing a tank with the Cherry Barbs. Curious why you ask? I think the Molly is 3 or 4. It is actually my sister n laws fish that I am *fostering*.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
No - it's a sailfin silver male molly and he's a real jerk. He's finally toned down a bit sharing a tank with the Cherry Barbs. Curious why you ask? I think the Molly is 3 or 4. It is actually my sister n laws fish that I am *fostering*.
Oh if you had a female Molly for a couple of months then it would be her babies but you have a male must be the cherry barbs then! You can buy a special fry food or feed them crushed flakes and baby brine shrimp (if their mouths are big enough for the las two). Can you get a pic?
Old 12-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oooohh... No No No. These fish are tiny little pinkish-red Cherry Barbs. And yeah - male that's been in the family for over 3 years. That would be amazing
Old 12-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Working on that pic... I crumbled really small regular fish food into like a powder. They actually seem to be eating. And there are 11!
Old 12-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - jmpgop's Album: Cherry Barb Babies - Picture

Try this link to see the pic - popup blocker won't let me post it here... They're really cute. Underneath the cage you see an adult swimming. Size perspective.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - jmpgop's Album: Cherry Barb Babies - Picture

Try this link to see the pic - popup blocker won't let me post it here... They're really cute. Underneath the cage you see an adult swimming. Size perspective.
Wow they are tiny! If they are eating the flakes that's good. Keep the water really clean. Fry are more sensitive than adult fish.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I did a partial water change yesterday (about 25%)... I have a new HOB filter coming for that tank too - I'm going to run both side by side until the new one is established. I should have it tomorrow Lucky fish I guess! Good timing.

And yeah - they are tiny but I could swear some of them have almost doubled in size since yesterday!
Old 12-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

When I had my fry in a net like that, I would take about a cup of tank water and slowly pour it into the fry container each day. I just didn't know how much water was actually moving through there, because the water in the fry net started to look like it had a film on it.

They are awesome little babies, very cute!

Tags
babies

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com