I Have BABIES!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmpgop

Aquarium Advice Freak
Holy Cow! I have about 10 baby cherry barbs!

Egg layers!

How did that happen...?? I suspected they would always EAT the eggs?? If not them, the molly or the snail would have. Hmmmm...

I came down the stairs this afternoon prepared to do a water change and to my surprise a BUNCH of tiny little fish! Stunning!

I caught all that I could find and put them in to a breeder's net/tank - like I said - about 10.

What are the chances of them surviving? Is there anything special I should do to assist? What to do?? I don't know...

Janelle :fish2:

jmpgop said:
Holy Cow! I have about 10 baby cherry barbs!

Egg layers!

How did that happen...?? I suspected they would always EAT the eggs?? If not them, the molly or the snail would have. Hmmmm...

I came down the stairs this afternoon prepared to do a water change and to my surprise a BUNCH of tiny little fish! Stunning!

I caught all that I could find and put them in to a breeder's net/tank - like I said - about 10.

What are the chances of them surviving? Is there anything special I should do to assist? What to do?? I don't know...

Janelle :fish2:

Hi, how long have you had the Molly? Is it a female by any chance?

No - it's a sailfin silver male molly and he's a real jerk. He's finally toned down a bit sharing a tank with the Cherry Barbs. Curious why you ask? I think the Molly is 3 or 4. It is actually my sister n laws fish that I am *fostering*.

jmpgop said:
No - it's a sailfin silver male molly and he's a real jerk. He's finally toned down a bit sharing a tank with the Cherry Barbs. Curious why you ask? I think the Molly is 3 or 4. It is actually my sister n laws fish that I am *fostering*.

Oh if you had a female Molly for a couple of months then it would be her babies but you have a male :) must be the cherry barbs then! You can buy a special fry food or feed them crushed flakes and baby brine shrimp (if their mouths are big enough for the las two). Can you get a pic?

Oooohh... No No No. These fish are tiny little pinkish-red Cherry Barbs. And yeah - male that's been in the family for over 3 years. That would be amazing ;)

Working on that pic... I crumbled really small regular fish food into like a powder. They actually seem to be eating. And there are 11!

I did a partial water change yesterday (about 25%)... I have a new HOB filter coming for that tank too - I'm going to run both side by side until the new one is established. I should have it tomorrow :) Lucky fish I guess! Good timing.

And yeah - they are tiny but I could swear some of them have almost doubled in size since yesterday!

When I had my fry in a net like that, I would take about a cup of tank water and slowly pour it into the fry container each day. I just didn't know how much water was actually moving through there, because the water in the fry net started to look like it had a film on it.

They are awesome little babies, very cute!

Back
Top Bottom