I have coral in my tank...:/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HouLiGaN

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Guys, i Setted up my aquarium added the equipment etc.
And started to do the cycle for ammonia etc.

In my aquarium i added Coral :p.

I read that adding coral to your tank hardness the water. And i am worried, if this will make my options on fish picking a lot less.

My corals are really a big age(around 2-3 years), and have been previosly for a long time in one of my family members Freshwater aquarium where he had a variety of fish. Hardly none of them never died. Only once when the power plants of cyprus had problems and we had no power for a lot of hours, only then some of hes fish had died.

Now i am asking, Do corals have an expiry date? Is it safe to have them in my Tank? Should i remove them and do water changes so i can soften the water?
I have no idea. I do not want to harm fishes when i choose to purchase them.

And 1 more question, do corals only harden the water when it is crushed? Because my corals are perfectly in tact and not crushed.

:thanks: for reading :)

What kind of coral are you referring to?

I have the picture of my tank how it is now as my profile pic, and as my avatar pic, it is a white one , Very dry and has many branches.

Is this the wrong area for my post? The subtitle of the topic said I could make questions, if it is can someone tell me the best area for my post? I really need help on this so I can know what my risks are and if I could live with having them in, in the long run etc ...

Thank you

I think the coral you are referring to is actually live rock that used to be living coral but has now calcified. I hope you are aware not to add anything living until your cycle ends.

After searching google for a hour or 2 I think it's safe to keep it in , it was dry and dead . So I don't think the ph will come up and my family member that gave it to me was using it for a long time with-ought having fatal injury, or anything close to that . And no don't worry I am not a bad guy :) . I wish to make the best decisions for mu tank because I really want my tank to be successful , so I will wait until the cycle ends normally etc :)

Ahhh I got it. Using that piece of dead coral is going to be similar to adding some crushed coral to your tank. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Also, you did pick the correct forum to post its just that your post was confusing :)

Back
Top Bottom