I have idea an improvement for the Python (maybe)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xray

Aquarium Advice Freak
The only problem I have with the python (and its not really a problem) is that you have to put the chemicals directly into the tank. Then I thought about those contraptions that hook on to your graden hose and deliver chemicals to the yard. :bulb: Could we shrink one of those down to be python size. You could dial it to deliver the right amout per gal of water.
:wink:
I forget what the effect is called when the flowing water causes the chemicals to be sucked up. Its like the ventri effect or something like that.
:?:
Of course I may have reinvented something that is already being sold by the thousands. What do you guys think.

it is very possible to that that xray but there is one drawback. The holding tank that keeps the chemicals (in this case) will have to be closed off when you are syphoning out the water whereas it has to allow for the flow to go through it when refilling the tank. Now, great idea, but i dunno. I think that the extra chamber in the design of the python may react with its syphoning abilities in the respect that the hose is all 1/2" or so and then it comes to this one part where it has this open void to fill before it continues. I see that as being problematic. I am no engineer, however my brother is. I will see what he says on it.

If you are looking to design something, try using dual pipes. with check vavles.

Since the python is bi-directional, you must stop the chems from getting sucked into the water going down the drain.

a simple way would be

<==>

Where the pipe connects at each end, the upper path uses check valves (to allow straight drainage) the lower one has the attachment for chems, also with check valves to only allow flow going out to the tank.

So Water being syphoned from the tank bypasses the Chems, the one going back in uses the path that mixes the chems.

Hey, if you make millions, I want a free python with toys :D

I like the idea. Why not make it removable and just use it when you are filling the tank? The way I see it working is the holding tank for the declorinater could have graduated marks on it for the number of gallons you would be adding. Fill the bottle up with water to the mark of how many gallons you want to add and then add the corresponding number of drops of declorinater. Screw the bottle on and start adding water to the tank.

There's nothing wrong with adding the dechlor as you add the water to the tank. However, if you design this--get a patent!!

I forget what the effect is called when the flowing water causes the chemicals to be sucked up. Its like the ventri effect or something like that.
It is called the Venturi effect. It absolutely could work. would need a closable valve for when taking water out of the tank. The real issue is wether it is needed or not. It might not be any more effective than adding the dechlorinator to the tank and letting the water flow into the tank mix them together. Even if it is not more effective, that doesn't mean it can't be marketed and sold! I love the inventor and entrepenuer spirit!

You could glue in a stainless steel automotive style brake bleeder screw. when sucking water out you put the little rubber cap on it and you won't loose pressure (or leak)... and then when you're filling the tank attach a small air hose to it that goes to your pre-measured chems which will be drawn into the line. Works well! (be sure its stainless, use non-toxic glue or silicone.... if you can't find a stainless bleeder screw use a 1/4" grease nipple.. if you have no idea what a bleeder screw or a grease nipple is just call a local automotive or motorsport performance shop and ask....they'll know) 0X
jt

i was really about to do this with my home made python as it is just a garden hose... im going to go to HD and pick up some things next week to do this hopefully i can get it to work

Check out this copied page from thekrib.com

"If your water has Chlorine only,
then I would tell you not to worry about it. I knwo George Booth
convinced me -- he dons't use any dechlor at all on his water. I don't
either except on really small (10gal or less) tanks where the Cl
consentration may still be high.
If you're working with Chloramine, go buy a MiracleGro
lawn-fertilizer spreader and attatch it in-line to your Python. Dilute
your Amquel/NovAqua (why both?) down to an appropriate solution and you're
set. (AmQuel suggests 1tsp/10gal. The spreaders usually mix at a rate of
1tsp/gal or somewhere in that neighborhood at the lowest, some have
variable control that doesn't get any lower a mix that that.
(I suggest the MiracleGro spreader because it was the only one I could
find that has a hose IN and OUT. If you don't mind some _major_
agitation, you can attatch virtially any spreader to the _end_ of your
Python.)
"
http://www.thekrib.com/Chemistry/cl.html#1

Back
Top Bottom