I have three 3in fish that are supposed to grow to 13in in a 40 gallon tank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome to AA!

Yes, fish will continue to grow until they reach they're full adult size, regardless of what tank you have them in.

What kind of fish?

neilanh said:
Welcome to AA!

Yes, fish will continue to grow until they reach they're full adult size, regardless of what tank you have them in.

What kind of fish?

Silver shark
Black fin shark
Red tail shark

I would suggest getting a really big tank or taking them back to the store if you can....sorry.

Never heard of a black tail getting bigger than 7 inches. But for fish 13inches you are looking at a tank foot print of 5'x2' minimum.

Crepe said:
Most tanks at that footprint will be 2 almost 3 feet tall. If you're not willing for the investment and time I'd return the fish.

As long as I can find one under 400$ I'm good

I found my 100 gal. for 300$ on craigslist, I would start there and then check out the want adds and that sort of thing. Good luck

The Redtail Shark (Epalzeorhynchos bicolor) needs a 50 gal. The Silver Apollo Shark (Luciosoma sp.) needs 30 gal. The Black Fin or Bala Shark(Balantiocheilus melanopterus) needs a minim of 70 gallons as grows to over a foot.

IMO you could keep them for a while as you already have them. As they grow larger then trade them in at your LFS. Assuming that they are small now. Or upgrade to a larger aquarium say 100 gallon if you plan to keep all three. That should leave room for another fish or two depending on size.

In the future check on line at liveaquaria.com or another reputable web site most will give information on what it takes to keep fish before you buy it.

I can't say I agree with this, in that the fish won't grow bigger than the tank :)

I think this proves my point ;)

Attachments

• fishinbowl.jpg
    fishinbowl.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 48
IMO when the fish gets too large for The tank, the water quality and stress will slow down the growth until it completely stops growing and/or living.

Back
Top Bottom