i have to go on a business trip....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I am really worried about leaving my tanks. Some have delicate fish personalities in them. Others require quite a bit of maintenance. No one will be here who will change or test the water, and i don't know how long i will be gone. could be 4 days, could be 2 weeks.

I have someone who will feed the fish, but not do maintenance.

One of my fish is very ill. i leave most likely on wednesday. he won't be done with treatment yet.

another of my tanks is mid cycle, showing nitrites. it will still be cycling while i am gone. without a water change, those fish WILL die i think.

I am considering calling the LFS's in the neighborhood to see if i can get someone to do service while I am gone. But I am reluctant to let anyone in my house that I don't know while I am away.

Any suggestions on how to handle this?

wow, your are in quite a pickle ;). Is there an aquarium club in your town that you could call to see if anybody from there could take care of your fish, but still, that person would most likely be someone you don't know. hmm, thats a tough one. You could put one of your neighbours or freinds through a rigorous training session on how to do water changes, and treat your sick fish. Other than that, i can't think of anything else:?, sorry. I hope it all works out for you!

good luck!

I think I am going to hire the services of my LFS. one of them has a staff i trust very much. i can't really afford it, and hate the idea of having a stranger in my house, but i don't know what else to do.

EDIT: my second thought is to round up all my fish and take them to the LFS i trust and see if they will house them while I am gone. I am doubtful they have the room in a few spare tanks (would take 3, as i have aggros in one tank, and angels in another) but maybe they have room. not sure. I am going to talk to him in length today about my options.

Yeah, i think that would be your only choice. Does your LFS have a hired service for fish-sitting? I know mine doesn't, hopefully yours does. Hope everything works out for you anyway, and make sure you hide all of your valuables if a stranger is coming into your hous, i would also suggest writing your name and adress on your TV's and other electronics, just in case.

they do have a hired service....

i would need them to come every other day at minimum while Big Boi is sick and the other tank is still cycling.

I would say get the in-house service. Talk to your friend who is feeding the fish and have them let the technician into your place so you have someone you trust there. I don't think you should transfer your fish and then bring them back when you return, as that will probably stress them out as well.

yeah. i went to two LFSs where i know the people who work there. i have 2 ppl interviewing to care for the fish while i am out of town.

Fishy I am in Tampa, kinda far or else I would do it for nothin (and I am one trustworthy dude...)

awww, thanks sicklid. My trip got put off til Sunday. I think I am going to hire one of the kids at the LFS to do it.

Back
Top Bottom