I know I'm behind the times...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DepotFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm thinking on getting a corner filter for my goldfish tank. The parameters are fine but the water is cloudy, possibly because she's on peas for constapation and they are a bit messy. I took out the ugf, even though cleaning that with a cyphon was a breeze. I think a little plastic cup of carbon with a little sponge on top is pretty easy to maintain. I know most of you have these fancy filters with compartments and several sponges and little carbon traps, but I have know idea why one would go to such lenghts to filter a 10 gallon tank with one fish. Somebody clue me in.

Another possibility for the cloudy water is not enough PWC's. The newer filters today are much better than UGF's and older filters. Also, carbon is non-important. About the only good it does is removes meds from the tank if you had to medicate it, and to also remove tannins if you use driftwood. For the most part, if the filter has a little bio-media, and a sponge or filter floss, and is rated for the size tank you have, that's all you really need.

As for the better systems like cannisters, etc, which has multiple baskets, etc, it just gives you that much better filtering and biological media choices.

Honestly, why not just get an Aquaclear 20? They're only $12 at Big Als and will very effectively filter a 10 gal - especially important for a very messy fish (even if it is only one). By comparison, a corner filter costs $4...plus floss, which would have to be cleaned quite often.

I would leave the UGF out.
You probably need some water movement in the tank, which neither the corner filter, nor the UGF will provide.

one fish for 10 gallons? A goldfish is actually a much larger fish in bulk than other FW fish like say a guppy. One goldfish can be the equivilant of 20 regular sized fish with respect to waste production. It's the collective mass of the fish in your tank that requires the extra filtration, not just the number of fish. Sure your goldfish is surviving, but it probably isn't thriving. Go for the $12 filter that qtoffer suggested. Your goldfish will be so grateful. :mrgreen:

spending money on good qulaity durable equipment means less time maintainging your tank in the long run, if you havea cheap filter you'll be doing more pwc's and filter cleaning than you would with a quality unit

tropicfishman said:
spending money on good qulaity durable equipment means less time maintainging your tank in the long run, if you havea cheap filter you'll be doing more pwc's and filter cleaning than you would with a quality unit

I second that, very well said.... :)

No water movement? I have an air pump. What's the difference if the sponge is in a few small pieces or in one big piece? I think the small pieces would need to be changed more often. I can't see how a plain sponge does anything different for the tank than the ugf did, it traps debris. This is mostly what I'm trying to find out, what makes a sponge any better than a ugf? I guess I'll just stay filterless for a while. The water parameters are perfect (except with this new cloudiness) so the fish is fine in that way. The tank is huge compared to her. She's never had any health problems, in four years, except constipation. She's got plenty of water circulation. I do a pwc everyday, I like doing them, I like having a pet in the dorms that I have to actually do something to take care of. That's why I'm up for the challenge of having two goldies. I'm quite offended by the idea that she'd not be thriving. I'll stop the peas and see if it helps, she's not constipated anymore, I was just trying to get rid of the peas.

The difference between a sponge and a UGF is the sponge is easier to clean. Just put some tank water in a small bucket, take the sponge out and rinse it a couple times, and put back in the filter. It is also a great source of bacteria to keep the tank cycled. I have 4 sponges and filter floss, as well as 3 other types of media in my cannister on my 55G. As for the UGF, unless you completely pull it out and give a good cleaning, the amount of trapped debris will increase and add to your nitrates later, til it's thoroughly cleaned again. That's why some people say they are nitrate factories, as they don't remove all the debris. But they do a good job if properly maintained.

Also, it's great having fish. Glad you enjoy it. I'm sure you will make the right choices for your particular setup. We're all here to help, and give you information and ideas, which will help you in making any decisions on your tank. And no, we aren't trying to force you to make any changes, just trying to show how filters have progressed from the UGF's to the filters nowdays, which are easier to maintain and are less work. Keep up with the good work, and hope the best for you and your fish. And if you have questions, post at any time, there's many here that are more than happy to give their opinions and advice. :)

on the other side of the coin UGF's are very effective at processing waste when properly maintained and work very well for keeping water parameters stable when properly maintained. however, they are more difficult to maintain then modern power filters. I like my penguin biowheel filters. they are extremely effective.

Scottm said:
on the other side of the coin UGF's are very effective at processing waste when properly maintained and work very well for keeping water parameters stable when properly maintained. however, they are more difficult to maintain then modern power filters. I like my penguin biowheel filters. they are extremely effective.

You hit the nail on the head, if maintained properly, yes, they are effective. But many people don't properly maintain them, and the waste builds up. But sounds like you have a good handle on it, and have good knowlege on how to do it. (y)

And yes, the penguins are great. I have 2 Emperors myself, another good filter, same brand name. (y)

I'm going to clue you in Depotfish. :wink: All filters provide 3 functions. Those being an ideal source for a nitrifying bacteria colony because of water movement, a place to trap some debris, and a means to chemically treat the water if you had to. Any of the filters mentioned in this thread (including the box filter), is adequate for you needs.

I'm inclined to agree that your cloudy water is caused by feeding the peas. Here's a better option IMO. Try feeding some shaved frozen spinach. This won't cloud your water. If the fish has a constipation problem, you can also treat the tank with epsom salts. 1 tablespoon per 10g should do it.

10 gallons is OK for a starter tank for a goldfish; you will need to upsize as your fish grows. I had a comet goldfish I managed to keep alive for 15 years, but he was never in a "bowl" and had a 40 gallon long he was starting to look a little cramped in towards the end.
As noted by others, you can't have too much filtration for a goldfish. I still keep a UGF (I know, I'm a real fossil), but with powerheads and very regular cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom