I know this sounds crazy and might be illegal, but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enadeau12

Aquarium Advice Activist
if i took small brook trout about 2 to 3 inches long and put them in my 55 gallon tank for the summer with some crayfish... do you think they'd survive?

:) Well I actually think it is illegal. That being said I did the same thing with a Rainbow Trout year ago. I managed to keep it alive for over a year before he got to big for the tank and I released him.

Now since I am older and wiser I don't think I would do it again. I suggest you not try either.

Not like I'm going to do it or anything... But how did yu keep the temp so cold and what did you feed it

I a high energy solution would be to find one of those mini fridges, make a hole in the rubber seal, and put a bucket with water, and have some piping running from the tank and coil it inside the bucket. I think I saw someone do that somewhere. (maybe it was for cooling a computer..

I was lucky. I simply put the tank in the basement. The temp remained in the 60s. Way too high for a trout but it worked. If I was going to do it again I would look into purchasing a chiller.

At least in my State it is illegal to keep live game fish, such as trout, without a license.

It's illegal because these a lot of cold water wild fish can grow huge and keeping them in a tank with low water volume is a form of animal cruelty they say, you can keep wild fish if you get a permit and special licenses and probably a bigger tank. I dont know if it would be worth the hassle in the end though.:D

Ditto Cole,

I kept that Rainbow when I was in high school and stupid. I would not try it again. I would suggest anyone thinking of doing think twice about it.

Again, please do not release fish into the wild, even into the water where they were originally collected. If it gets too big, eat it or just stick it in the freezer to euthanize it, but don't risk destroying the native population with aquarium-borne disease.

It's illegal pretty much everywhere to keep trout caught by any method other than hook-and-line, but I don't see anything unethical about taking a specimen for a tank, especially one of the introduced brown trout.

That said, trout have very particular requirements. It should be fine with crayfish if they are well fed, but you absolutely must have a chiller on the tank, which is expensive, and they like current too. They are very hard if not impossible to feed on flake food too, which complicates their care considerably. Frozen foods should be ok, but live is preferred.

I doubt trout are very interesting fish to keep compared to other, naturally smaller, native fish you could find in other local waters that would be legal to take by net. Try The North American Native Fishes Association

Back
Top Bottom