"I Love You" Parrotfish; say it isn't so.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It should be illegal, thats cruel. Fish are living creatures, amazing how little respect for nature some people have.

-Pleco

wow, not just enough to genetically modify the fish into an abnormal shape, causing it to die early from mutation....but painted too.

=*(

Oh, God.

As a biotope purist who likes to try to create as accurate as possible a recreation of a little slice of an actual natural habitat, I stay away from even varieties selectively bred to have subtly more distinct coloration than wild stocks, let alone albinos, golds, longfins, etc, so I have a real problem with hybrid monstrosities like parrotfish, flowerhorns, etc, and then to inject dye into them just turns my stomach.

There are so many beautiful and interesting species of natural fish out there, more than any one aquarist could keep in a lifetime, so I really don't understand why people have to breed monstrosities and then mutilate them.

i read on a website that injecting a fish with a needle to dye it, ratio wise would be the same thing as sticking a pencil inside a person

I didn't realize that blood parrots are a product of genetic engineering through selective breeding and other means...

Weird...I've got a pair...I like them a lot...but allways thought they were kind of weird lol...

As for the topic at hand...I've seen this before.Terrible thing. I rescued a painted glass fish a while back. He's doing much better now, living his life to the fullest I presume.

I sent a note to AquaBid to tell them how disturbing the listing is. The seller has nice feedback and is well-liked in that group. As far as I know he's not evil...I hope they pull the auction. I could not determine whether AB has a policy against selling dyed fish.

It's possible that the seller honestly doesn't know any better. That doesn't look like a friendly experience for the fish. I certainly wouldn't try to tattoo my cat for instance.

mar_att1 said:
terrible practice! it is beyond me why ppl do this to animals :(

Simple reason why people do this: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :evil:
As long as there are buyers, there will be sellers. :cry:

Ferret_Friend said:
That doesn't look like a friendly experience for the fish. I certainly wouldn't try to tattoo my cat for instance.

If you did, you would probably look like a flag left out during a hurricane. Too bad parrotfish don't have sharp teeth and claws! :twisted:

Speakerman said:
I didn't realize that blood parrots are a product of genetic engineering through selective breeding and other means...

they arent, or at least this one in the picture wasnt, this fish was injected several time to spell that out

It's possible that the seller honestly doesn't know any better.

I sent a friendly note to the seller, telling him I knew he had a great reputation and I was surprised and saddened to see the fish listed.

AquaBid replied to my inquiry. He said they have no policy against it; he said some people don't like flowerhorns or hybrids, and some do. That I didn't have to bid on it, and could contact the seller if I liked. I'm not sure he understood that my objection was to the injection part of it.

EDIT: Seller wrote back asking why he should not have listed the fish. I pointed him to the "deathbydyeing" site and asked him to kind of disregard some of the Dr Moreau stuff. Tried not to sound like a psycho animal rights activist...or a stalker.... :?

EDIT AGAIN: He replied and said that without even looking at the site he did not agree with doing this to a fish and does not agree with modifying fish in any way. His supplier sent it to him as something to try and he is just trying to get rid of it.

I'll be glad when the auction is over-I was very happy that the seller replied with concern and reason.

I have no problem with the seller doing so. One question who will decide what is wrong and right? Maybe only those with aquatic biology degrees should be able to keep fish. These things always bother me. I don't like to see it any more than the next but is it any different than what many "reputable" breeders have done to other fish. Honestly it isn't that much but only accepted. Just take a look at some of the bettas, guppies, angels, goldfish, GBRs, etc... the list goes on and on. I am all for education and expressing ones views on matters but condeming, harrasing, etc... should not be acceptable.

i don't blame or condemn the seller. i blame and condenm the people who think it is cute to stick big needles and ink in a fish.

Back
Top Bottom