I;m a novice, please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thatlouguy just want to say you're in great hands here at AA, i've been coaxed through a million things that i should have been more familiar with(ie diseases) before i invested my time and money into tanks. it looks like you've got everything under control right now... at least you bought hardy fish.

i used bio spira for my tank and it cycled in one day! if you have the means (1 oz is about $15.00 which will treat a 30gal tank) , it will make everything stable and you'll just have to worry about the ich. however with all that fish you do have a lot of waste which should cause the tank to cycle pretty quickly on its own in not too much time.

good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks for chiming in mgkaelen! I need to type quietly, the fish are sleeping. All these people have been GREAT. Hopefully this Ich problem will be gone in a week or so, then we can relax. We already started looking into a 10g QT. I have an addictive personality and it don't take long to get hooked.
I've been reading about a lot of different fishless cycling methods. Allivymar suggested extra filter media but others say the bacteria dies as soon as it hits the uncycled water in the QT. I also don't know if I have the room in my whisperflo 2 for additional media. Others had also mentioned the Bio-Spira that you suggested. I also read about just adding straight ammonia to QT water and monitoring the nitrates until the water balances out. A QT is definitely the way to go.
NOTE to Allivymar: I can't wait until I can think of you as an absolute dork.. it takes one to know one. Glad you weren't offended by my last post. I reread it after I posted and though it may have been taken as rude.
G'night all and thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom