Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-09-2018, 07:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

I知 cycling?? I知 nervous

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4358.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	310611
I did a water change after this too because I saw a lot of poop on the sand and that weird yellow stuff on my last post Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4356.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	310612

Old 10-09-2018, 07:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Since you are using an API test kit.... good job on this.....you have to shake the hell out of the nitrate test bottle. Even bang it against something when your shaking it. They are known to read high if you don't and your nitrates look like they are 160 ppm? I'd retest then do a couple of large water changes if you have anything over 40ppm.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fisher View Post
Since you are using an API test kit.... good job on this.....you have to shake the hell out of the nitrate test bottle. Even bang it against something when your shaking it. They are known to read high if you don't and your nitrates look like they are 160 ppm? I'd retest then do a couple of large water changes if you have anything over 40ppm.

Thank you and no I put them in terrible order but the first one was ammonia the second nitrite and the last one was PH now I waited a couple more minutes on the test and my ammonia is looking more green like .50 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4359.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	310613 and nitrite like .25 .50 a light purple. I just did a 25% water change. I have a guppy that looks like was affected by the ammonia :/. I知 waiting on my angel plus sponge it just shipped today
Old 10-09-2018, 07:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:

I didn稚 take a picture of the nitrate but it was as bright rich yellow.... no nitrates yet
Old 10-09-2018, 09:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Those readings aren't terribly high but at the threshold for a fish in cycle. Do a 50% water change.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Those readings aren't terribly high but at the threshold for a fish in cycle. Do a 50% water change.

Oooo okkay thank you!
Old 10-09-2018, 10:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:

My last male guppy just died ..... he and the other female had been swimming at the top this past two days. I still don稚 know what this is and i took most of it out but my Ammonia is at a light green. Can I just add more prime to protect the rest
Old 10-09-2018, 10:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Absolutely add prime. They were at the top due to nitrite most likely. The good news is your cycle is progressing nicely. Water changes and prime are crucial
Old 10-09-2018, 11:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

As M stated add your prime every water change. I'm guessing you will be doing daily to every other day water changes. Prime is good for up to 2 days. If you don't have to change the water every two days then add Prime at the end of day 2.

Testing your water daily will gauge when you need to do a water change. Remember, for example, if you have .50 ppm ammonia and you do a 50% water change you will then have .25 ppm ammonia. This goes for the rest of the water tests as well. Change the percentage of water appropriately.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
As M stated add your prime every water change. I'm guessing you will be doing daily to every other day water changes. Prime is good for up to 2 days. If you don't have to change the water every two days then add Prime at the end of day 2.

Testing your water daily will gauge when you need to do a water change. Remember, for example, if you have .50 ppm ammonia and you do a 50% water change you will then have .25 ppm ammonia. This goes for the rest of the water tests as well. Change the percentage of water appropriately.

Hi there can you help me out? I got one of this angel plus sponges and this are my readings for today should I still throw it in there. Can I place part of this in my aquaclear filter? They say throw the dirty water from the bag in your tank. Is that safe?

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com