Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-19-2018, 01:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I知 done

For over 4years I have poured my time money and emotions into keeping fish.
Long hours scouring books forums internet personal discussions with fish keepers. Have 6 tanks all with at least triple the filtration recommended. I use a blend of tap and r/o water i filter myself. Bought brand new water trough to store water in. Spent lots on filtermedia to get 菟ristine . Change water weekly without fail . New water carefully matched to existing tank temp ph etc. Check water parameters frequently with api kit. Ammonia0 nitritrires0 nitrates never over 15-20 ph stable at7.3 and for over 4 years I have suffered the 4 Ds of being an aquarist. Devastating disappointment of dead and disappearing fish. Have enjoyed reading on this forum and I thank all for the info but I have had it. I can no longer face the 4Ds. I will be draining my tanks and giving the few survivors to an lfs
Hopefully I can recoup at least a small amount of the extremely large amount of money I wasted. I will never be able to get back the emotions I had that were crushed by the4 Ds Thanks again and good luck. Ric

Old 06-19-2018, 03:08 PM   #2
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

you had 6 tanks try dropping down to 1 tank dedicate your time their for a while , you overwhelmed yourself the first time so just cut down to 1 tank then over time you can start another just don't try to take over to many at once this way you can find that comfort zone ,

we all fall down sometimes that don't mean we gave up
start slow a lot don't follow that simple rule that's why things fall apart so fast.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello Don...

I have a new project for you, if you're interested. It's a completely, 100 percent, no water change tank. Nothing to go south and kill off the fish and a tank so low maintenance, you can have several. The problem with most tanks, is you have to cycle them and then tend the aquatic plants and change the water, so the fish don't go belly up. All the water testing and chemistry stuff can cause brain damage. I have some tanks that the fish thrive in, about the only thing I use much of is distilled water. Might be just the thing for you. Let me know. You already have the tanks, so why not use them???

B
Old 06-19-2018, 04:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I知 done

Thanks for the pep talk and advice I appreciate it but I知 done. So much work to get water where it should be and so much work to keep it there with the reward being dead or disappearing fish. I only started with 2 tanks made lots of mistakes but when they were fixed as my numbers show still had the 4 Ds. I知 tired of being a fish killer. Apparently I wasn稚 meant to be an aquarist. Thanks again. Ric
Old 06-19-2018, 07:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Even advanced successful fish keepers suffer defeats, such as catastrophic disease outbreaks, malfunctioning equipment or unexpected aggression between tankmates resulting in death. Note: it's only the expensive fish that dies.
Through experience, advanced hobbiest know how to deal with these issues and quickly rebound.
Although you have four years experience keeping fish, compared to many on this forum that is still rookie status. OP, sounds like you have been trying too hard. Over doing it.
Maybe take a break. As already suggested, concentrate on one tank. Preferably the largest one. Start over using only the simplest power filter. Stock very tough, durable fish such as African Cichlids or Central American Cichlids. Toss the water testing kit and rely on your daily observations and once a week 50% WC to maintain water quality.
I've had two buddies leave the hobby. One due to a tank seal failure on his 180 gal. The other due to a two week power outage, causing her entire 125 Gal. SW system to fail. Those catastrophies cost them "Big, Big Bucks". I doubt your problems are in that league.
You will never recoup all your investment, so might as well tough it out and give this forum a try.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yah.. it's not for everyone... "if it were easy? Everyone would be doing it. Maybe take a break and think about what you really want? Too much too soon is the downfall of many an amateur aquarist. Pick the dream set up and focus all of your energy towards that! Statistically speaking.. if you can drag 6 tanks through the mud for 4 years you can surely rock one epic tank!
Old 06-19-2018, 07:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The books and research don't tell you everything. Everybody's is different. Sometimes you gotta wing it to figure everything out. Sometimes it's just the type of fish you get that can't settle in. When you find your own way of doing things that work, go with it. Some say, don't do this, don't do that. Do it this way or that way. Trying different things to make things work. Like rolling the dice one more time. This is a hobbie. It's not much different than any other hobbie. You get better and better little by little. Diving in and not knowing what's at the bottom could hurt. One tank at a time. We don't all learn over night. When you get one tank down pat. It becomes an addiction. Everything takes time.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

What to do

Ok so what more do i do with just one or two As I said I don稚 hav ammonia nitrite or nitrate problems I change 50% water weekly. My tanks are crystal clear I rotate 3 qualityflake foodsI feed brine shrimp blood worms vegetables once or twice a week ph is stable at 7.3. And my fish r happy eating active one day and dead or gone the next day.. I have managed to keep only 3 fish alive more than 6 months given the above. I am at a complete loss as to what else there is to do except consult an exorcist What more is there to do???
Old 06-19-2018, 10:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneric View Post
Ok so what more do i do with just one or two As I said I don稚 hav ammonia nitrite or nitrate problems I change 50% water weekly. My tanks are crystal clear I rotate 3 qualityflake foodsI feed brine shrimp blood worms vegetables once or twice a week ph is stable at 7.3. And my fish r happy eating active one day and dead or gone the next day.. I have managed to keep only 3 fish alive more than 6 months given the above. I am at a complete loss as to what else there is to do except consult an exorcist What more is there to do???
What fish do you have and what are the other fish you had that died. How long did you have the other ones for? There's a lot to this hobbie to know and learn about. Keeping an aquarium in tip top shape is always top priority. But, some fish will carry diseases, that will take out most, if not all fish in your tank. One by one and that fish will still live. There's other facts about how fish will pass down a illness by genetics. I can go on and on and so can others about this hobbie. But, to start off. Type of fish? Do you put new fish in a tank to themselves for a few weeks before adding to tanks with your other fish? How long have you had the fish that died? There's a lot that could have happened. Tell your story and others will have their thought on it to. Maybe we can help solve the case. try not to get down too much. These things happen. We all learn from something that has happened, just makes us better for the future. Keep your head up!
Old 06-20-2018, 06:49 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneric View Post

I would tend to agree with BBradbury maybe for the first time ever. I switched my tank over from what would be considered the norm in today痴 fishkeeping world and I知 at 5 months with 0 water changes with just top offs with RO. Of course not everyone has the issues you are experiencing with today痴 practices BUT this does not necessary mean it is the right way to go about keeping fish nor does it mean the no water change method is the be all and end all. What you have to consider is that with the current way of managing your tank you are losing fish. You are probably losing microbes too. One thing I like to think about is the microbes because it all starts there.

After 5 months with no input other than a scarce bit of fish food and the tank being left alone my duckweed which had vanished is actually returning. My tank was like a wasteland of algae and dead plants when I made the switch but 5 months down the road it is starting to come back to life. Algae in my opinion is nature痴 way of correcting our mistakes. When you leave the tank long enough it comes back to life. My crypts are finally sending new leaves, my laganandra too. My Hygro is producing healthy new leaves they are pearling despite no co2 and low light. But best of all, since I switched off the co2 and stopped dosing and changing water with tap I have not had a single bacterial bloom. Not 1 fish death, my snails actually spend time in the water and they don稚 hide or close up. They graze all day like they are supposed to. The fish appear healthier and relaxed and the water clarity is like looking through a window. You are over filtering and over cleaning in my humble opinion and the microbial population is unbalanced. That痴 what causes fish deaths. If you want to learn more let me know. Here is a fish tank that had been run the same way since 1995. Same plants.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0293.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	309365

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com