I made a disaster!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my filter I have 2 layers of padding on the bottom, ceramic bio media in the middle, and another pad on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That tank getting direct sunlight from the window?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The guy at the LFS told me to add all the plants at one time and let it cycle with them. Was this my downfall?

It sounds most like a bacterial bloom combined with detritus from your filter tbh. I would start with a 50% water change today trying to siphon out as much of the gunk as you can. After that wait a couple days and monitor the situation.

If the cloudiness gets worse and nitrates appear with no detectable ammonia or nitrites then it's an algae bloom.

If the cloudiness goes away and there's no detectable levels of either ammonia or nitrite then you know it was a bacterial bloom.

Okay so 50% WC I'll do that here in a bit and keep this updated on how things are going. Thanks so much for the help this scared me to death last night

Dialogs are common in newly cycled tanks. I'd describe diatoms as powdery and they settle quickly if disturbed. Otos will eat it but won't solve the problem.

I think Mebbid has the right diagnosis.

Regarding your earlier question about cycling with plants, I've seen that referred to as "silent cycling" because the plants actually prefer ammonia and nitrite to nitrate and will take in NH4 and NO2 before the microbes can snag it. That's actually how I started my first planted tank.

Dialogs are common in newly cycled tanks. I'd describe diatoms as powdery and they settle quickly if disturbed. Otos will eat it but won't solve the problem.

I think Mebbid has the right diagnosis.

Regarding your earlier question about cycling with plants, I've seen that referred to as "silent cycling" because the plants actually prefer ammonia and nitrite to nitrate and will take in NH4 and NO2 before the microbes can snag it. That's actually how I started my first planted tank.

I think my Hard lesson here was not waiting long enough for the tank to completely cycle. I'm doing a big water change here soon like Mebbid suggested

Should I return my beloved fish to help speed up the cycle or will they be okay?

Never get oto's in a new tank. They need well established parameters, as they are rather fragile fish!

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Should I return my beloved fish to help speed up the cycle or will they be okay?

The fish don't care about the algae, it's just unsightly. Also, no the the otos, they won't solve the problem.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421622194.577494.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421622215.679501.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421622229.580871.jpg

Did 50% water change and tried to siphon as much out as I could. Should I check my filter and wash off the debris that might be there? What can help me get rid of all the really little particles? I don't own a gravel vacuum I sucked it all up with the siphon.

Well your going to need a gravel vacuum if you want the tank to stay clean so I'd go buy one...

Well your going to need a gravel vacuum if you want the tank to stay clean so I'd go buy one...

I have the 3 eatablished tanks and have never needed one even through the cycling process but I guess I'll be getting one tommorow...

That being said I've also taken a spare filter pad and letting it sit in my established 45g to build up bacteria. How long till it will be good to put in this tanks filter?

That being said I've also taken a spare filter pad and letting it sit in my established 45g to build up bacteria. How long till it will be good to put in this tanks filter?

I'd say a few weeks to a month or so.

Okay thanks so much for the help Mebbid and everyone else. You guys saved this tank probably.

Back
Top Bottom