I may have done something drastic...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hisc1ay

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I went to WalMart to find a book, and with all the talk about WalMart's fish, I wanted to go over there and find out what the stock looked like at that sure. I wasn't surprised at all with what I found in the tanks. It was what was on the bottom shelf that made me mad.

Stacked to the far side was about 5 or 6 dead bettas in yellow water. In the middle of the shelf were the live ones. Probably 10 or so. Maybe less. The water was clean, but the fish weren't. I picked up a few. Most of them had some kind of fungus (it didn't look like ick...it wasn't as hard as that...it was more like a softish cotton looking stuff). I found two really pretty ones that didn't have any disease (visibly) and I brought them home because I didn't want them to live there anymore (I'm such an activist...). Now, I'm not stupid...I didn't put them in with my other fish. :) I bought one of those little betta tank thingies to stick them in as like a hospital room while I treat them. Then one of them is going with my others, and the other one gets his own tank.

Here's my question. I have some ick medicine. It says one teaspoon for every 10 gallons. I barely have these guys in 3 cups each. I may just stick one of them in my 10 for a few days and then switch them. How long should I treat them, or should I even treat if they don't have ick at sight? What else should I be checking them for? And when do you think it would be safe to put one of them in with my guppies?

-j

betta

I'm not sure about putting them with the guppies. If they don't have any visible disease, I don't think I would treat them right away. Just keep them quarantined for a couple of weeks and see how they do. If ick does develop, you could mix up the medicine at 1/4 tsp per 2 1/2 gal. Then use this water to change out the water in the betta tank as needed. If they develop the white, cottony growth that you mentioned, I would probably treat them with an antifungal of some sort. For now though, "If they ain't broke, don't fix 'em" :) . Personally, I'm glad you rescued these fish from Wal Mart. It always makes me mad to see any animal kept in inhumane conditions.
Logan J

he should be ok with feeder guppies, probably not with fancies--it seems they like to attack fish that they think is "prettier" than they are or something--anything with bright long fins is usually in trouble --you can try it , just watch him for awhile with the net in your hand! :D

Back
Top Bottom