I may have listened to the wrong person

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigfortner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon tank that i got from petco in a bundle deal. I had 1 blue gourami, 1 molly, 2 platy, and a bristlenose pleco. I knew i had some more room so i went to a local fish store and i told the person what i had and i came out with 2 angelfish and 5 tiger barbs. Being that he was the owner i took his word for it but now i dont know. (Do i have to many fish and is it a bad mixture)

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tiger barbs are aggressive. They just might tear the fins of the angel. Angelfish and gourami also don't mix unless the gourami is a dwarf.

I could see nipping issues witht he angel fish and barbs. Is the tank even cycled ? how long has it been running? If you could I would return the angelfish and tigerbarbs and maybe even the molly.

Sorry i should have included that. Yes the tank is cycled. That is such a shame i told the guy everything i had and he said it would be no problem.

Come to find out they dont allow refunds. Im lost of what to do

Tiger barbs are aggressive. They just might tear the fins of the angel. Angelfish and gourami also don't mix unless the gourami is a dwarf.

+1 on that... You could try to find another lfs that would take them, for free or maybe even a fee. (I think it's just a great excuse to start a new tank :p) I never listen to people I don't know at my lfs.. Good luck!

I can't believe he'd say "no problem" when infact it could potentially be a big problem, he should take the fish back because he flat out lied..

Thank you all for your help. I guess you live and learn.

I can't believe he'd say "no problem" when infact it could potentially be a big problem, he should take the fish back because he flat out lied..

Unfortunately some pet stores will say anything to sell pets regardless of whether or not that information is correct.

I would talk to the manager if you haven't already. There's so many things wrong about the advice he gave you. I wouldn't put more than 1 angel alone in a 29. Also, I wouldn't keep angels and tiger barbs together. Finally, adding all of those fish to the mix of what you already have is just simply too much bioload for a 29.

It's possible the employee did not lie, he just did not know. Still I find it hard to believe the store would not take back the fish. ost stores will take them back, though not all necessarily give a refund.

That's the type of sale that will make a child cry... No refund.. Just simply take the fish back so nothing bad happens..

I've seen a couple buy 2 betas, overheard they were going to put them both (male and female) into a bowl... Store employees... [emoji17]

It's possible the employee did not lie, he just did not know. Still I find it hard to believe the store would not take back the fish. ost stores will take them back, though not all necessarily give a refund.

The op stated it was the owner. The owner should have more than known and in any event, should someone not know something, they need to admit it and get the proper answers.

For any store not to take something back is totally bs !! I would make a scene inside the in front of everybody and make sure it was loud and clear about the policies of the store.

We had a very good lfs where i used to love that the owner sold off to a doctor, who was one of his better customers. Within a year or so the store was bankrupt and closed because the new knew nothing about fish. He started by cheaper stock, hiring high school kids and the advice given out by him was so far off base it was laughable.

My wife wouldnt allow me to get rid of the angelfish lol. So petco took the blue gourami and the tiger barbs. Now i have:
2 angelfish
2platy
1molly
1bristlenose pleco

Does that sound like a better set up now.

My wife wouldnt allow me to get rid of the angelfish lol. So petco took the blue gourami and the tiger barbs. Now i have:
2 angelfish
2platy
1molly
1bristlenose pleco

Does that sound like a better set up now.

So, something else to keep in mind as you pursue future fish purchases, not all fish keepers agree about what is and is not ok. As you said, live and learn. Not everybody agrees about the minimum tank size is for angels. Personally, I think you have a decent chance at your angels being fine. A 29g is very commonly used as the minimum for a pair by many people. Just, keep and eye on everything and I think you will be fine if your angels get along. That may or may not happen, but just keep a close eye on it. If you grow out an angel a bit, many lfs will take them in for a bit of store credit. ;) Good luck.

Thank you all for your help. I am very new at this and i am learning. Thank you for not be critical but instead being helpful.

I have two dwarf gouramis (male and female) in with several angels and they do great. If you like the gouramis you could possibly try trading them in at a different store for dwarfs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom