i need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madmadison

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 120g fresh water set up but my ph lev is very low 6.2, nitrites almost nil, but nitrate off the chart! I have 2 on backs and a large spunge for filters uv sanitizer no gravel no plants and I notice lots of alge even thoe its in the basement it gets 10h a day from florescent light fixture can anyone give me some pointers , temp may range from 76.8 to 78.6

In a cycled tank, your nitrite really should be 0. The way to bring down nitrates is by changing the water. Nitrates are not consumed by beneficial bacteria.
You probably have algae because of a surplus on nutrients (the nitrate ect) combined with lights on for too long.
How often do you change out water and how much?

How many fish in there?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

got bumble bees, African snow cichlid, blood parots, jack demise, oscar all are least 4'' been doing 20% change every 1-2 weeks ,now goin to reduce light time to 7.5 and do a daily water change of 15-20% per day for the next week,

got bumble bees, African snow cichlid, blood parots, jack demise, oscar all are least 4'' been doing 20% change every 1-2 weeks ,now goin to reduce light time to 7.5 and do a daily water change of 15-20% per day for the next week,
That size of a water change is really tiny. Tbh I would increase the water changes to 50%. That could help solve the nitrate problem as well as the low ph which by proxy would speed up the bb in your tank helping you get those nitrites down.

ok did a large water change 50% along with tap water conditioner n a little aquarium salt,iam still little new to this n ty for your advice!

Your over stocked as well. 125 gallons is only big enough for an oscar and something else of similar size. Once the oscar is grown, which will only take months, and you have something else in there as well of similar size, you will need at least 2 50-75% water changes a week to keep the water healthy.

Back
Top Bottom