I need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melissa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone I just registered because I think some of my fish are pregnant but this one which I have a pic of, i dont know when i should put her in the breeder box. I'm very new to this and Im not intentionally breeding lol it just happened! so can anyone tell me when she may have her babies? and can someone tell me how to shrink this lol =( plz forgive me im new.
img_625923_0_f77ffc3aaa02715e3d70953bc69b2904.jpg
[/img][/url]

She looks pregnant but not enough to put in a breeder box. Welcome to AA btw.

If you are not intentionally breeding you could just let her have the fry in the tank and some will survive and others will not. What size tank and what are the other inhabitants? I have several guppies and lots of places for the fry to hide so I just let nature be. Guppies breed quite readily just so you know. Breeder boxes and nets can stress the mom out IMO.

thanx for the fast reply :) I have a 65 Gallon tank with 5 neon tetras and like 6 or 7 guppies and a sunset platy and 2 dwarf platys and 3 glowlites and a diamond tetra.

Your fry, if they have hiding spaces will most likely survive with your other tankmates. Do you have plants, fake or live, and ornaments for them to find cover in?

Welcome to AA Melissa!

Good luck with your new babies, Zagz pretty much covered that. :D

In regard to your request for photo editing, do you have photo editing software such as: Photoshop? If not, here is a nice free photo editing software that is pretty easy to use:

Irfanview Photo Editing

HTH.

She looks almost identical to one of the female guppies that I have in my tank. She's got a ways to go before she "pops".

When she gets really close you'll see the front part beneath her gills get almost square and the two gravid spots will nearly be touching. Even then, I wouldn't bother putting her in a breeding box. If you want to keep some of the fry, you can scoop them out when you see them and put them into the box. The box can really stress out the female, which can delay or complicate the delivery.

Good luck. She looks very healthy.

Make sure to either have lots of places for the fry to hide or have a seperator box because fry will get eaten. I had one fry that lived with 4 adults for about 5 days, then he dissappeared where I can only assume he was eaten. I have many snails that would form a large grouping and eat him if he just died, and it would be very noticeable. And my filter has a sponge on it, so he didn't get sucked up.

Back
Top Bottom